'Cure' vs. 'Curing Salt'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
Yeah, I know. Another newbie question. Sorry.

First, yes, I understand the difference between Pink Curing Salt #1 and Pink Curing Salt #2.

But, I ran into two recipes for Braunschweiger off site that both list 'Cure #1' as an ingredient, and it was white, not pink, and made no reference to 'Curing Salt'.

As I am dealing with meat preservation, I want to ensure I know and understand all the terminologies, and do not guess.

1] I assume 'Cure #1' is shorthand speak for 'Curing Salt #1'.
---Is this a true statement?
2] The ingredient in the video was white. I am only able to locate 'Pink Curing Salt' here in Thailand, not white. (possible issues with availability, possibly language related. Dunno.)
---Are they the same thing, except that one is with food coloring?

I've tried researching this, even here, but despite what I assume is this same questions asked, keep running into answers on the differences between #1 & #2, Curing Salts vs regular salts, etc. and unfortunately, none answer these questions.

-sterling

Yes... They would be the same... Some manufactures produce just the white cure... From my understanding the addition of the coloring (pink) is to differentiate the cure from regular table salt...

See what the more knowledgeable persons have to say...

As Keith said you are correct it is Cure #1 or Instacure or Curing salt #1 or Sure Cure and a bunch more names look for the 6.25% written on the bag somewhere hopefully it should be. Sometimes you find it white in color but most of it I have seen is pink

Reactions: DailyLunatic
In 2021 most countries outside the USA standardize the red die to make cure #1 and cure #2 pink. This cure salt is specific. It is on cure # 1) 6.25% nitrite and 93.75% pure salt. For cure #2, this formula is a bit random, it contains 6.25% nitrite but can also contain anywhere from 1-4% nitrate.

Otherwise, white curing salts, outside the USA, are something like Peklosol, which contains 0.6% nitrite. These salts can be used as table salt or for curing. Morton Tender Quick is another white curing salt from the USA that contains 0.5% nitrate and 0.5% nitrite, again can be used as table salt, but also a curing salt.

In the USA, curing salt generally means cure #1, Prague powder #1, DQ #1, there are a lot of names for it but standard here in the USA as 6.25% nitrite and 93.75% salt.

Check the package and make sure of the nitrite content before moving forward. Once product is in had we can help if we know the nitrite percentage, no matter what that percentage is.

Reactions: zwiller
point of clarification:
Can be used in the same equivalent measurement as table salt when making charcuterie. They definitely should not be used AS table salt...say sprinkling over food at the table. Thought I'd point this out for the lurkers and new people.
Thank you Inda for that clarification.

That said, I stand by my statement. The reason why Peklosol is formulated the way it is, is specifically so it can be used as general salt, but can also cure meats. The nitrite is very low and must be used in high percentage to meat weight to effectively cure, just like TQ. Nothing even close to cure #1 which requires very little addition but then requires salt added in percentage. Peklosol or TQ already have salt figured in. I’ll dig up the quote from Marianski.

Ran across this as I was doing research - cooking & tasting sausage as you make it can be dangerous. Have to let it age before the Cure is safe to eat.

-sterling

I believe the Canadian cure is also white.

The tasting has come up numerous times. Our deceased Food Guru (Chef Jimmy J) stated that simply washing it down with a high citric acid beverage minimized the risk of nitrite poisoning

Reactions: indaswamp

Ran across this as I was doing research - cooking & tasting sausage as you make it can be dangerous. Have to let it age before the Cure is safe to eat.

-sterling

All this talk of the danger of nitrite is just plane Bull. It’s not based in fact at all. Here is what Stanley Marianski has to say about it and sites actual laboratory testing.

AB6C2A7E-2685-408C-A4AD-D4D41756ED9C.jpeg

Reactions: zwiller
All this talk of the danger of nitrite is just plane Bull
What Cajuneric is referring to is the formation of nitrosamines from high heat frying. But, if you use sodium erythorbate in the sausage, or drink a fluid high in citric acid like orange juice after consumption, there really is no concern. the amines will be neutralized.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
What Cajuneric is referring to is the formation of nitrosamines from high heat frying. But, if you use sodium erythorbate in the sausage, or drink a fluid high in citric acid like orange juice after consumption, there really is no concern. the amines will be neutralized.
The science of nitrosamines is far from settled. It’s just possible. The USDA doesn’t even fully agree, just partially.

Reactions: Fueling Around
This is referring to toxicity. The video is discussing carcinogens.
-sterling
Yeah didn't watch video.
Excess nitrites is a supposed carcinogenic in meat that is cooked at high temps which supposedly create nitrosimines.
If you fry your liver sausage use sodium erythrobate to deplete the nitrites otherwise don't sweat the details.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yeah didn't watch video.
Excess nitrites is a supposed carcinogenic in meat that is cooked at high temps which supposedly create nitrosimines.
If you fry your liver sausage use sodium erythrobate to deplete the nitrites otherwise don't sweat the details.
Need to reach 600F on the meat is what the studies show for nitrosamine formation. Good grief, I don’t cremate any of my foods.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Need to reach 600F on the meat is what the studies show for nitrosamine formation. Good grief, I don’t cremate any of my foods.
Correction. Nitrates can form nitrosamines if heated to or above 600F.
For nitrite, it’s anything above 266F. But the nitrosamine risk factor is what matters and it’s actually very low.

Reactions: indaswamp
The video is saying that use of Cure #1 requires a waiting period of 24 hours, and Cure #2 of 30(?) before eating. Per the video, Its has not fully converted, until then.

I don't remember hearing anything about temperature.

It does go on to say there are additives that can make that conversion instantly. Also, adding the Cure 'after' spices are correct, etc.

Basically, the habit of spices, cook, taste, spice, cook, taste, should be avoided.

-sterling

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky