Porteroni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DocShadownix

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
So, I made my first semi-cured sausage and I gotta say I am hooked. YUM. I modified a recipe from Carter and Peisker's Homemade Sausage as below:

5 pounds of chuck roast (beef)
28g salt
6g pink salt (instacure #1 -CORRECTED)
21g sugar
14g red pepper flakes
20g paprika (sweet)
7g cayenne pepper
24g toasted and coarsely ground fennel seeds
10g coarse ground black pepper
30g minced garlic
35g dry mustard

1. Dice beef into ~1 inch cubes.
2. Mix salt and pink salt together in a bowl and then toss diced beef in the salt mixture
3. Place in fridge, uncovered, for 3days, mixing at least once (with gloves).
4. Place in freezer for 30-60 minutes
5. Grind x 2 with small plate
6. Place in freezer for 30 min
7. Grind x2 with small plate
8. Stuff in fibrous collagen/pepperoni casing (I forgot to pre-wet but it did not matter!)
9. Smoke as you like, until internal temp ~155; I did the following, with a mix of hickory and cherry:
175 x 2 hrs
200 x 1hrs

IMG_1187.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg

Eat on pizza or sandwiches to your heart's content...here is a pizza I made last night on my Kamado Joe (which i used to smoke these as well).

pizza.JPG

Well, my first cured sausage a success. Next time I may add some Fermento or ECA for a bit of tang, but otherwise PERFECTO! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: shoebe and Steve H
Really, five? Where do you get that calc? I mean this came from a published book...can you attach your reference so I can learn?

Hmm...this is the only one I found and yes, the book triples the cure needed according to it.

Last edited:
Way to much cure.
Here is some good info You Need
Richie

Dang...most of the recipes I have seen call for 1 tsp per 5 #, which I used, but by weight seems too much. Hmm. Time for a new scale (already ordered on Amazon ;) ).... Thanks for the comments all.

It is pretty straight forward, Polka. Bummed I used too much cure...dang book! But glad I posted on here or I would have made AGAIN in a few months with too much cure again...crossed out already in book :) It does taste GREAT on pizza or in sandwiches.. next time I would make both the smaller diameter for pizza and a larger, mayhap 60ish mm, for sandwiches.

Dang...most of the recipes I have seen call for 1 tsp per 5 #, which I used, but by weight seems too much. Hmm. Time for a new scale (already ordered on Amazon ;) ).... Thanks for the comments all.

Is your instacure wet by chance? By wet I mean not dry like kosher salt. My last bag that I got had absorbed a bunch of moisture from somewhere and it threw my weights all out of sorts.

I save those little silica gel envelopes for just such occasions :-)

Hmmm. New from sausagemaker.com, but it could be...I will check that when my new scale arrives :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky