Porkstrami ~ Round Two

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
In mid-May I posted about a Porkstrami cook where I used the daveomak daveomak injection technique he designed for shoulder and loin 'hams' then used a modified Pop's Brine as a covering brine.... so a combination cure to produce 'corned' pork butt. I took the corned pork butt, seasoned it with my pastrami rub and my garlic pepper blend, smoked it for 5 hours in my drum smoker, then did a 35 minute pressure finish. Round 1 was a tick salty, so I made a reduction in that, and I reduced the amount of pickling spices. I also increased the dwell time after injecting to 8 to 10 hours before adding the roast to the corning brine. All these changes helped.

This was within 30 minutes of moving off the pit and into the pressure cooker.
yikT333.jpg
This is after 35 minutes of processing
z0O74du.jpg
Here is the recipe with changes. I intend to use corning method on some beef, and try it on a pork loin so I can make some thinly sliced pork for porkstrami sandwiches.

Porkstrami ~ Round 2 ~ A work in progress
  • Boneless pork butt
  • 112 ounces of water
  • 16 ounces of beer
  • 80g canning salt
  • 30g white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons pickling spice
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
  • 6 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay
  • 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
  • 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down)
  • AmesPhos – this is calculated at 1.8 g/lb of meat weight and mixed into an amount of brine that equals 10% of the meat weight.
  • Pastrami seasoning - thirdeye recipe (or a 50:50 mixture of pastrami seasoning and thirdeye's Garlic Pepper blend)
Day 1 - Combine all ingredients EXCEPT Cure #1 and AmesPhos, into a stock pot. Slowly bring up to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Do not let this mixture come to a boil. Allow to cool on the stovetop, then refrigerate overnight. De-bone pork butt and slice into thick roast(s), tie with string so it holds it’s shape.

Day 2 – Strain the brine. Add the Cure #1 to the chilled brine and mix very well. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight (for example: 2000g of meat needs 200g of brine for injecting). Calculate the amount of AmesPhos (1.8 g/lb of meat) and mix it into the 200g of brine. Inject the brine into the meat. Hold meat in a plastic bag for about 8 to 10 hours so the phosphate can start to work. Then add the meat into the covering brine, and cure for 13 days, agitating the liquid daily. Remove meat from brine rinse and soak about an hour. Pat the meat dry, add pastrami seasoning. Rest in the refrigerator 12 to 18 hours.

Day 3 – Smoke the meat up to 5 or 6 hours or until it gets a nice color and the internal is ~160°. Move to pressure cooker with some pork broth. Process for 35 minutes, then use natural release. Check tenderness and if needed…. Process again for 5 or 6 minutes.

I'm gonna have to try injecting if it's better at all. My fridge is already stacked to the brim.. lol

[26 day butt with pickling spices, a lot of extra pepper, and cayenne and jalapeno powder right now, and a couple few week pieces of boneless loin (gotta love how cheap back BLTs are, classic ham and cheese or whatever that French ham on a baguette, monte cristos etc.), both a wet and dry curing full slab of spares.. all slightly different sugar/salt ratios since i have yet to find my perfect sweet spot]

I'm gonna have to try injecting if it's better at all. My fridge is already stacked to the brim.. lol

[26 day butt with pickling spices, a lot of extra pepper, and cayenne and jalapeno powder right now, and a couple few week pieces of boneless loin (gotta love how cheap back BLTs are, classic ham and cheese or whatever that French ham on a baguette, monte cristos etc.), both a wet and dry curing full slab of spares.. all slightly different sugar/salt ratios since i have yet to find my perfect sweet spot]
Hey, that's what makes experiments fun.

I've injected most every other curing brine I've used especially on picnic roasts so I can make sure the liquid is around the bones. The difference with this injection is that even though I use come of the brine, I'm adding the AmesPhos to only the 10% that is injected. That is why I bag the roast and keep it separate for 8 hours. My hopes are that, I'm giving the phosphates a chance to work on the meat before it goes into the cover brine.

Hi guys, newbie here.
I noticed you mentioned that you inject the brine(cure) into the ham.
Does the cure include no.1 curing salts?
And while curing, do you still have brine/cure outside of the ham as well?
Is there a difference in how much No. 1 curing salt to use if we inject as to just letting it soak in the brine? Of if we do both, inject and soak?

Is there a realiable calculator to help with this?

Thanks so much ahead for any insights on this.
Have a great week and a happy smoking.

I missed this one also. Boy that does look delicious

Chris

How in bloody hell did I miss this thread?!?!?!? I will be making this!!!! Thanks for posting third eye!

I missed this one also. Boy that does look delicious

The increase in holding time after the injection (Hold meat in a plastic bag for about 8 to 10 hours so the phosphate can start to work) is far better than my first version.

That said, wait until you smell the brine, it's very aromatic. And if you want more bark, cut the butt into two pieces.
GvzsuQf.jpg

In mid-May I posted about a Porkstrami cook where I used the daveomak daveomak injection technique he designed for shoulder and loin 'hams' then used a modified Pop's Brine as a covering brine.... so a combination cure to produce 'corned' pork butt. I took the corned pork butt, seasoned it with my pastrami rub and my garlic pepper blend, smoked it for 5 hours in my drum smoker, then did a 35 minute pressure finish. Round 1 was a tick salty, so I made a reduction in that, and I reduced the amount of pickling spices. I also increased the dwell time after injecting to 8 to 10 hours before adding the roast to the corning brine. All these changes helped.

This was within 30 minutes of moving off the pit and into the pressure cooker.
View attachment 498748
This is after 35 minutes of processing
View attachment 498749
Here is the recipe with changes. I intend to use corning method on some beef, and try it on a pork loin so I can make some thinly sliced pork for porkstrami sandwiches.

Porkstrami ~ Round 2 ~ A work in progress
  • Boneless pork butt
  • 112 ounces of water
  • 16 ounces of beer
  • 80g canning salt
  • 30g white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons pickling spice
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
  • 6 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay
  • 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
  • 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down)
  • AmesPhos – this is calculated at 1.8 g/lb of meat weight and mixed into an amount of brine that equals 10% of the meat weight.
  • Pastrami seasoning - thirdeye recipe (or a 50:50 mixture of pastrami seasoning and thirdeye's Garlic Pepper blend)
Day 1 - Combine all ingredients EXCEPT Cure #1 and AmesPhos, into a stock pot. Slowly bring up to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Do not let this mixture come to a boil. Allow to cool on the stovetop, then refrigerate overnight. De-bone pork butt and slice into thick roast(s), tie with string so it holds it’s shape.

Day 2 – Strain the brine. Add the Cure #1 to the chilled brine and mix very well. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight (for example: 2000g of meat needs 200g of brine for injecting). Calculate the amount of AmesPhos (1.8 g/lb of meat) and mix it into the 200g of brine. Inject the brine into the meat. Hold meat in a plastic bag for about 8 to 10 hours so the phosphate can start to work. Then add the meat into the covering brine, and cure for 13 days, agitating the liquid daily. Remove meat from brine rinse and soak about an hour. Pat the meat dry, add pastrami seasoning. Rest in the refrigerator 12 to 18 hours.

Day 3 – Smoke the meat up to 5 or 6 hours or until it gets a nice color and the internal is ~160°. Move to pressure cooker with some pork broth. Process for 35 minutes, then use natural release. Check tenderness and if needed…. Process again for 5 or 6 minutes.
Hahaha, nice man looks delicious! I actually did a pulled ham made from pork butt a few weeks ago. It came out amazing.
IMG_20221008_190611727.jpg

Reactions: thirdeye
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky