Pork Sirloin Roast Ham... Pasteurized at ~135F...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
I tested my last theory about having tender meat... My last "loin ham" was tough... figured it maybe was due to injecting, curing etc. while the meat was trussed so the muscle was not relaxed...
This test.... meat relaxed in a zip bag while injected, cured etc... then truss up in a stretch net... smoke etc...
Well this sirloin roast is awesomeness... Better flavor than the "basic" loin cut... Tender, yes...
Injected with 10% no salt veggie stock, 0.4% STPP, 1.5% kosher salt, 0.25% cure#1, 1% sugar...
Pork injections for curing
Mixing order to stop the STPP from clumping...
10%... no salt soup stock... vegetable....
Phosphate additions..
Mix into the liquid...
1. phosphates and dissolve... 0.4% STPP....
2. sugars, proteins and dissolve... 1% sugar
3. salt and dissolve.... 1.50% Kosher salt
4. cure and dissolve.... 0.25% cure#1

Pork S‏irloin 2019 Dec 002.JPG
Prime Ribs 2019 Dec 011.JPG
Prime Ribs 2019 Dec 012.JPG

This meat is perfect for sammies.... on a cracker with cheese... I REALLY, really like it......

about 4 hours of DUST smoke at 120F.... close down exhaust to ~5% open to reduce air flow while cooking the meat to ~135F....
That reduces the crust toughness... case hardening so to speak.... Zip bag in the refer for the internal moisture to redistribute
and moisten the pellicle/crust... Firm up etc. for slicing..
Raise smoker temp to ~155F ish..... Get roast IT to ~135F and hold it there, by lowering the smoker temp, for 1.5 hours to pasteurize the meat... Maybe that temp
helps tenderize it also... I don't know if 135 helps break down fiberous meats but I like the results.... It's limp as a wet dish rag...
The mild smoke addition adds just a hint of smoke that's not "front of the line" when tasting... perfect...

I started lowering the smoker temp at 132F... The meat got to 137F at ~1 hour into the "hold" and stayed there until the 1.5 hour hold was done..

Gvmnt pasteurization table beef, pork, lamb cured pork....png

Last edited:
Excellent work Dave! The theory makes sense to me. That plate pic just looks succulent! This is something I haven't done before and need to add to my list. Well done sir!

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky