Pork Sell By Date ??? Updated with USDA Guideline.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom c

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
How long after the Sell by Date is safe for Pork? I have 2 shoulders not frozen with a sell by date of yesterday but wasn't planning to cook them till Saturday, prepping Friday night.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

As long as they are vaccum packed and have been kept colder then 40° you should be fine but it is a very touchie subject. You should also try the smell test and if it is anything out of the norm I would toss it.

Found this on USDA web site,

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/food_product_dating/#11
Refrigerator Home Storage (at 40 °F or below) of Fresh or Uncooked Products

If product has a "use-by" date, follow that date.
If product has a "sell-by" date or no date, cook or freeze the product by the times on the following chart.

Refrigerator Storage of Fresh or Uncooked Products
ProductStorage Times After Purchase
Poultry1 or 2 days
Beef, Veal, Pork and Lamb3 to 5 days
Ground Meat and Ground Poultry1 or 2 days
Fresh Variety Meats (Liver, Tongue, Brain, Kidneys, Heart, Chitterlings)1 or 2 days
Cured Ham, Cook-Before-Eating5 to 7 days
Sausage from Pork, Beef or Turkey, Uncooked1 or 2 days
Eggs3 to 5 weeks

Five days after code if Cryovac packed, 3-5 if not but depends on how often the refer door gets open...You should be fine if it was handled properly...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky