• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I bought a couple of these roasts when I saw them. Never had this cut before, and it was real cheap. Thawed one out, brined it overnight in the fridge, then injected it with a bit of Tony C’s butter/jalapeño marinade. Here is what I started with.

50087A66-0869-4490-8703-35152CE27F6F.jpeg

I wanted it to be a more round uniform shape so it would cook evenly on the rotisserie. So I tied it up then put it on the spit. It was very even weight wise, so no counter weight needed. My neighbor lent me his Meater +. This thing is amazing. I have to get one.

CF804042-17BE-4967-B532-2136350F809B.jpeg

5AEF86E6-9D0A-48E8-AE20-87471D919080.jpeg

Overall cook time was around 3 hours. The surprising thing to me was the ambient temp, right at the meat stayed around 250 degrees the whole cook. I was worried that the Meater would burn up over a wood fire, but it worked flawlessly. Off the spit & ready to rest a bit.

69D47700-D8C2-4C17-98A1-11CCE0224BB1.jpeg

Man is this guy juicy!

006CDD38-0993-4F18-97DA-3A40D1657166.jpeg

Homemade mushroom gravy, and box potato’s. Sorry, but I like them out of the box.

4DB44AEF-2FF7-4204-B7A5-EBE2A0019C97.jpeg

Next night we added some beans from our little garden, and some of Judy’s homemade sourdough bread.

2F853AE2-3C68-45C5-9D31-68983574F04A.jpeg

I have not been happy with some of the items that I have bought from WFF lately. However I will order a couple more of these. They just absolutely melt in your mouth, almost like I SV’d them. Thanks for stopping by folks!
Al

Looks terrific Al! That cut is a new one for me too...but looks like it really turned out great! Nicely done! :emoji_thumbsup:

BTW I know a guy who might have a meater for sale...I'll send you a PM.

Red

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinAl
Looks great. Haven't seen the roast. Our local grocery store caries the steals every now and then. I always stock up on them.

Fantastic Al ! The pork loins with the light and dark meat are the ones to get .
I used the Tappecue Air probe 2 when I spun the beef the other day . Love that thing .

Looks like a nice cut of meat and you did it justice Al. Plates.look delicious.
TNJAKE TNJAKE , I was gonna echo that about the green grass. A good 3.5 months away for that yet for us. :emoji_disappointed:

I'm with TNJAKE TNJAKE !!! I dont know if I'm more jealous of the plate or the sun and green grass!
But, I'd take a big heaping dose of all of it.

Jim

Nice plate AL, need to do this. I either need to bring my kettle back from PA or buy another one for here in NY

Looks great Al, I thinks its basically just the rib end of the loin where they get the country style ribs, instead of cutting in halves to make the ribs they just leave them whole and call them a ribeye roast.

both awesome looking plates, so juicy looking meat! thanks for sharing this!
Thank you, and yes it was juicy.
Al
Looks terrific Al! That cut is a new one for me too...but looks like it really turned out great! Nicely done! :emoji_thumbsup:

BTW I know a guy who might have a meater for sale...I'll send you a PM.

Red
Thanks Red, got your PM.
Al
Looks great. Haven't seen the roast. Our local grocery store caries the steals every now and then. I always stock up on them.
Thank you, if you ever see on of these, grab it!
Al
Fantastic Al ! The pork loins with the light and dark meat are the ones to get .
I used the Tappecue Air probe 2 when I spun the beef the other day . Love that thing .
Thanks Chop!
Is that what a pork ribeye roast is?
That makes sense because it was so cheap.
This will be like brisket, cheap until everybody discovered it.
Al
Heck of a good looking plate Al.....also I'm jealous to see green grass and sunshine lol
Thanks Jake, but we get hurricanes too!
Al
Looks like a nice cut of meat and you did it justice Al. Plates.look delicious.
TNJAKE TNJAKE , I was gonna echo that about the green grass. A good 3.5 months away for that yet for us. :emoji_disappointed:
Thank you, I didn’t even think of the grass when I posted the pics. Sorry!
Al
I'm with TNJAKE TNJAKE !!! I dont know if I'm more jealous of the plate or the sun and green grass!
But, I'd take a big heaping dose of all of it.

Jim
Thanks Jim!
Al
Nice plate AL, need to do this. I either need to bring my kettle back from PA or buy another one for here in NY
Thanks Cliff, I’m just starting to use the kettle more lately. Since I sold all my smokers & got the RecTec, I still enjoy a real fire & the kettle is my drug.
Al
Al, that roast is a beauty.

Stu

Al, I'd surely pull up a chair for a plate of that!! Nice cook!!

Al that is a nice looking roast and plate of grub all around!
Thanks guys!!
Al
Looks great Al, I thinks its basically just the rib end of the loin where they get the country style ribs, instead of cutting in halves to make the ribs they just leave them whole and call them a ribeye roast.
Thanks Jim,
All I know is it sure was good, and I don’t understand why every grocery store doesn’t have them.
Al

Is that what a pork ribeye roast is?
Comes off the loin . Ribeye roast is the section of the loin it's cut from I believe .
We're used to hearing the names with beef , but it goes for all animals . It's a great cut of pork , and you nailed it . If you buy whole boneless pork loins you'll get that section .

Al, both of those dinners look fantastic sir!! Gotta admit though, that roast is nothing short of spectacular. I don't know that I've ever seen a more perfectly cooked pork roast than that. Absolute porcine perfection!!

Robert

Looks delicious Al! And I like that you know the correct ratio of gravy needed!

Ryan

Looks incredible Al - I think open fire rotisserie cooking is the best and your roast looks like it proves it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky