Pork rib roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbienick

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 4, 2015
NW Ohio
In my current Ohio stay-at-home state, I dug through the freezer yesterday and found this pork rib roast. Since I have time on my hands, I thought that I would actually post pictures of the process. There is a first time for everything! Hopefully, the pictures turn out ok.

Here is the roast after some trimming:
IMG_20200329_103737.jpg

Savory brine steeping...
IMG_20200329_103743.jpg

Rib roast taking a bath...
IMG_20200329_110444.jpg

I plan on doing an herb/garlic rub on it and smoking to 145F internal. Since I'm working from home, I can roll the smoker during the work day. Any suggestions on smoking wood? I have apple, cherry, hickory, maple and white oak.

More to come tomorrow!

I'd go with either of the choices above if I were using my electric smoker, hickory on my offset. RAY

Thanks for the recommendations! I try to locally source wood, and I think that pecan is a southern state thing. I was thinking cherry and a little hickory since this was a savory brine and rub. It seems like I'm not far off base.

Roast after adding fresh garlic, thyme and rosemary.
Pre smoke.jpg

After a 3 hour smoke...cherry and hickory. George is looking on, hopeful for a treat.
After smoke.jpg

The cut... George wants some!
Cut.jpg

Grand finale! Pay no attention to the small amount of green beans versus the large pork chop.

Plate.jpg

Thanks! It was exactly what I was looking for. Savory flavors and a kiss of smoke. The hickory and cherry was a good combination.

George may have had a few pieces as I was putting leftovers away. He liked it, too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky