Pork Crown Roast

Discussion in 'Pork' started by joe black, Dec 25, 2015.

1. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Planning a Pork Crown Roast for New Year's Day. Besides the normal rub and smoke, does anyone have any personal ideas that will add a special pop? TIA, Joe

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

A finishing glaze is always nice, but depends on the flavors you are looking for. If going the savory route a glaze made with figs would be good. Sweet heat would be good with an apricot or prach glaze. Sometimes simple is best and nothing else is needed.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    sc 4x4 guy likes this.
  3. I would not do anything else to it, but have different items  of flavor for guest to use if SO desired. Let the roast "do the talking".

4. Maybe a sweet sauce like maple syrup or sorghum syrup rubbed on before the dry rub to help it stick

5. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very good ideas. Thanks a lot guys. Where have you been 4x4? Been missing you. We need to get together sometime. Joe

6. Been working. Cooked three cheese mozzarella stuffed meatballs on the grill yesterday! Family went crazy over them

7. Used Stubbs charcoal with some Apple chips mixed in made neighborhood jealous! Didn't know if you could smell it over there or not

8. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds wonderful Joe.  I always like Apple or Pineapple with pork.  I'll bet a quick search would produce a good glaze for that baby!

Happy New Year! 

b

9. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

How about Char Sui or Korean?

10. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I brine mine (one in the juice for tomorrow now), then smoke it. Brine =HUGE difference! This is what they'll look like.

Now "IF" you need more, I'd go with a fruit w/ spiced rum glaze. I make my own jellies and jams and marmlades, so its always a decision to make. Spicy peach goes good with pork, but so does Kumquat marmalade.... feeling wild? Go with a spiced satsuma......LOL

But basically, if you cook the pork right everything else is superfullious. If you want, you can present the pork with some glaze on the side too. Like a condiment. A little taste goes a long ways.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  11. rabbithutch

rabbithutch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Your pork crown roast puts my pork tenderloin to shame, and I can't offer any advice on the roast. I kinda think letting the meat do the talking is great advice, though.

What else are you planning? I've got collards and kale to boil down, black-eyed peas to cook, sweet potatoes and pork rib slab to smoke with the tenderloin. Add griddle corn bread and rice and that's my New Year's meal.

Got a good recipe for hoppin john?

:grilling_smilie:

12. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

This looks like it was sous vide cooked. Interesting that there is no grey line where it had more doneness at the outside. Was a good pic .

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  13. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017