• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork butts and pit beans

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Our German neighbors asked for some pulled pork, so being the smoking guy I am, I jumped at the opportunity to make some.

I found butts on sale this morning for $0.88 per pound and ended up with 2 nice 8 pounders for next to nothing!

I smoked barbaocoa (beef cheeks), chicken quarters, and a chuck steak for tacos earlier in the day and ended up with a pan full of wonderful juice that begged to be used for something, so I chose to use it as the base for some pit beans!

Butts are slathered and rubbed

I chose to double fist the smoke this trip! That's 2- 18" AMAZEN smoke tubes full of hickory pellets!

After I put the 2 butts on, I put my beans together. 1 pound of pintos that had been soaked overnight had some bell pepper, onion, and garlic added to them before they were placed into the pan that was half full of the juice left over from the earlier barbacoa cook! I decided to put the pan of beans directly under the pork butts! These should rock tomorrow!

More pics tomorrow after all are done!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Great start!

Al

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Smelling good too!

Been on for 11 hours now and still needs quite a few more it looks like.

I was looking at the graph of the temps and it looks like this thing left the stall like a rocket! Big temp spike and then leveled out.

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 9, 2009
Lookin good so far CB!  And that bean recipe sounds terrific!  Looking forward to seeing the results of this one... 

Red

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 3, 2013
Should be outa sight!  Watching closely.  You smoking in the rain over there? b

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
No rain yet. I'm sitting outside ready to pull and take to the oven if I have to. Hoping to make it before it starts!

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
How many cups of brown sugar did you add to those beans?
4 cups dark brown sugar
1-pint mole asses
1 bottle dark kayro syrup
1/2 cup simple syrup!

I'll never live this one down! I'm catching heck on FB about it too!

I hope nobody tries that recipe!

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 3, 2013
Niiiiice bark brother. b

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
Butts are looking great,how long you cook them beans for?

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Butts have been shredded and I'm stuffed to the gills! The wife made breakfast tacos for brunch and I've been sampling all this goodness!

The first pan is for our German neighbors. They love BBQ and each time the weekend rolls around they "order" something. I took the pan of PP and some of my Dr Pepper sauce over to them and about 15 minutes later the neighbor lady showed up with this! I asked what it was and she said she'd have to get the English words for it and let me know later. :drool

Beans are in the oven keeping warm for dinner later. This is how they looked after I pulled them from the pit.

Had a nice crust of fat on top. I've since removed the crust and added some pulled pork them. I'll post them later.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Niiiiice bark brother. b
I ate a LOT of it too! So good!

Butts are looking great,how long you cook them beans for?
They went into the pit with the butts and came out at about the same time. Nice light smoke flavor and a killer flavor mix from the barbacoa and the juices from the butts dripping into the pan.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Charley that looks great I just threw some left over PP into the chilli,

Richie

betaboy

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 29, 2016
You've been a busy guy lately CB!! Looks wonderful, that bark is awesome and I bet those beans are fantastic! You don't see people soaking beans very much these days. It's usually fresh out the dang can!

What a neighbor!!

Last edited:

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 9, 2009
Looks delicious CB! Pretty bark on those butts...and those bean must have been great all by themselves! Nicely done Sir!

:points:

Red

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.