Pork butts and pit beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Our German neighbors asked for some pulled pork, so being the smoking guy I am, I jumped at the opportunity to make some.

I found butts on sale this morning for $0.88 per pound and ended up with 2 nice 8 pounders for next to nothing!

I smoked barbaocoa (beef cheeks), chicken quarters, and a chuck steak for tacos earlier in the day and ended up with a pan full of wonderful juice that begged to be used for something, so I chose to use it as the base for some pit beans!

Butts are slathered and rubbed

I chose to double fist the smoke this trip! That's 2- 18" AMAZEN smoke tubes full of hickory pellets!

After I put the 2 butts on, I put my beans together. 1 pound of pintos that had been soaked overnight had some bell pepper, onion, and garlic added to them before they were placed into the pan that was half full of the juice left over from the earlier barbacoa cook! I decided to put the pan of beans directly under the pork butts! These should rock tomorrow!

More pics tomorrow after all are done!

Reactions: disco
Lookin good so far CB!  And that bean recipe sounds terrific!  Looking forward to seeing the results of this one... 
icon14.gif

Red

No rain yet. I'm sitting outside ready to pull and take to the oven if I have to. Hoping to make it before it starts!

Butts have been shredded and I'm stuffed to the gills! The wife made breakfast tacos for brunch and I've been sampling all this goodness!

The first pan is for our German neighbors. They love BBQ and each time the weekend rolls around they "order" something. I took the pan of PP and some of my Dr Pepper sauce over to them and about 15 minutes later the neighbor lady showed up with this! I asked what it was and she said she'd have to get the English words for it and let me know later. :drool

Beans are in the oven keeping warm for dinner later. This is how they looked after I pulled them from the pit.

Had a nice crust of fat on top. I've since removed the crust and added some pulled pork them. I'll post them later.

Niiiiice bark brother. b

I ate a LOT of it too! So good!

Butts are looking great,how long you cook them beans for?

They went into the pit with the butts and came out at about the same time. Nice light smoke flavor and a killer flavor mix from the barbacoa and the juices from the butts dripping into the pan.

Charley that looks great I just threw some left over PP into the chilli,

Richie

icon14.gif

You've been a busy guy lately CB!! Looks wonderful, that bark is awesome and I bet those beans are fantastic! You don't see people soaking beans very much these days. It's usually fresh out the dang can!

What a neighbor!!
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Looks delicious CB! Pretty bark on those butts...and those bean must have been great all by themselves! Nicely done Sir!

:points:

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky