Pork Butt Tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininiowa

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Iowa
Hey Guys,

Been gone for a while, different job has taken a lot of time, New Grandkids have taken a ton of time (worth it!) and just some life changes have kept me away. Glad to be back now and ready to get smokey again not that I have put the smoker clear out of the picture but just haven't done near as much as I would have liked!

My question, I have been in a few local "Smoke Off's" and have done very well with the ribs, pork loin, chicken, briskit and the speciality class that some contests have had (my smoked meatloaf is always a hit). The one thing that seams to bring me down is the darn pork butts, they just seem boring, always the same. I am looking for different, something that will  set it apart from others. I use a wood pit so I always have a nice smoke ring and smoke flavor.

Have a smoke off coming up in a couple of weeks and if anyone has any ideas or secrets that you would be willing to throw my way I would really appreciate it. Thanks all for your time!

Happy Smoking!

Are you injecting them or anything to add a bit more flavor?

No Piney, that's kind of my question, do I brine, inject? What with? I have always just rubbed them and have tried several different types of rub, just nothing stands out. Any help would be great!

Thanks

I don't compete so take this with a grain of salt. Take some of your rub and mix it with apple juice and inject that to see what you think. Play around and find a flavor profile you think will work well

I just did a butt over the weekend... I always brine mine as it adds more moisture... didn't really add a lot of flavor tho...

Gonna try a couple different things here at home this weekend and see what happens before the competition, got a couple ideas. Guess we don't get better unless we take a couple risks, try it out on the family and they are as hard on me as anyone! LOL. Thanks for the input!

Try Pure Pork Power. You can get it from www.usbbqsupply.com
I was very pleased. Have used it to give additional moisture when smoking loins. It lends a subtle sweet flavor that pairs well with a variety of rubs. They also offer an injectable pork bark. Check it out

Still learning

I'm not sure what kind of smoker you are using but I tried Eric's method and I got the juiciest butt I've ever smoked with an awesome bark:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...mmed-butt-wet-dry-smoke-chamber-q-view-method

Also JJ was helping me with a rub for ribs and I ended up with his "Original Bubba Q Rub" and he told me to add a little Cumin for a Southwest flavor and i did this rub on some butts and the Cumin really added a different flavor that I really like, it really stands out, not your run of the mill PP. Just something very simple that really changed things up for me! (Thanks again JJ)

I have never injected a butt before the last time, I used chris lilly's injection and my wife and her sister raved about it.

If I recall correctly it was

3/4 c apple juice

1/2 c water

1/4 c salt

1/4 c of sugar

and 2 TB worcestershire

I will double check this

I have never injected a butt before the last time, I used chris lilly's injection and my wife and her sister raved about it.

If I recall correctly it was

3/4 c apple juice

1/2 c water

1/4 c salt

1/4 c of sugar

and 2 TB worcestershire

I will double check this
looks like it is the same as above except 1/2 c of sugar instead of 1/4 c

I have always looked to Layering Flavor. This Rub is Mild but appeals to a broad range of tastes and is adaptable. You want more heat, increase the Blk Pepper and Cayenne. This is a variation on my Original Bubba Q Rub, it had 1T Mustard Pwd and 1T Wht Pepper as well. The Apple Topper can be added to enhace the Bark. Adding an hour or so before Pulling will let it caramelize and really develope it's flavor. Of course a good complimentary Finishing Sauce is a must so I included my favorite as well. If you have some Ideas that need development, send a PM and I can work with you. All it will cost is your Meatloaf Recipe!
biggrin.gif
...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

Apple Pork Topper

3C Apple Sauce

3T Dijon Mustard

3T Brown Sugar

2T Apple cider Vingar

1tsp Rubbed Sage

1/2tsp Black Pepper

1/2tsp Salt

1/8tsp Cinnamon

Optional: 2-3 Apples, peeled, diced and sauteed until golden brown and tender in 2T Butter.

Place all in a pot and simmer on low until thickened as desired. Adjust sweet/salt to taste. Spoon over Pork Roast, during last 30-60 minutes of Cook time and/or over the pork at the table.

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.

You guys are awesome, fired up the smoker and used some of the advice and think I will give it a go next weekend at the competition.

Thanks All!!!!

Jimmy,

I will post the meatloaf recipe, it is really good and has done very well, heck the wife even likes it!

Hickory Smoked Meatloaf

(Loaf)

1 ½ C. Bread Crumbs                         ½ C. Minced Onion

2T. Water                                            1 ½ Lbs. Ground Beef

1T. Horseradish                                  2 Eggs

1 tsp. Garlic Salt                                 2 tsp. Liquid Smoke

2 tsp. Celery Salt                                ¼ tsp. Black Pepper

(Sauce)

1/3 C. Grape Jelly                               ½ C. Chili Sauce

1 tsp. Lemon Juice                             ½ tsp. Liquid Smoke

In a sauce pan mix sauce ingredients, slowly cook until jelly is melted.

Combine crumbs, onion, water horseradish, celery salt, liquid smoke, garlic salt and eggs. Add beef and mix. Place in a regular loaf pan, smoke 250 to 275 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, drain grease. Pour sauce over loaf. Place back into smoker for approximately another 45 minutes to an hour until desired doneness is achieved. Spoon sauce over loaf occasionally. 

Oven instructions (Boring)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, drain off grease, pour sauce over loaf, bake for another 30 to 45 minutes, spooning sauce over loaf occasionally.

Here is the meatloaf recipe, let me know how it turns out, easy to make and delicious. I have changed it on occasion, a little cayene etc. to add a little heat to the sauce but the wife likes it the way it is.

Thank you for the Recipe. I have never tried Horseradish or Celery Salt in Meatloaf. Saved for future reference...JJ

Little different spices etc. but it works. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to make it. Pretty quick in the oven to at least try it but it loses something.

Jimmy,

I found both smoked hot and sweet paprika which should I use in the finishing sauce?

Thanks

Jimmy,

I found both smoked hot and sweet paprika which should I use in the finishing sauce?

Thanks
 I like and use the Smoked Sweet. Since I already use cayenne in the recipe the hot paprika is not needed. Check the label of the hot you found some are actually made hot by grinding the whole Paprika Pepper, includes seeds, placentas and calyxes while others just add some cayenne to make it hot...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky