PORK BUTT REHEATING ISSUES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CamBow1898

Original poster
May 15, 2019
Hello all,

I've got a few questions on the best way to reheat my pork butt. So, I have a family event Sunday at 11am, with food served around noon,and I've committed to bring a smoked pork butt. The weather on Saturday night here in Little Rock isn't really going to be suitable to smoke in, so I figured I'd smoke it on Friday, finishing sometime late Friday night or early Saturday morning. I'll need to reheat it Sunday morning before leaving, and then drive it about 45mins to the event. I've read that pulling and THEN reheating works well but I'm worried about the pre-pulled meat holding temp for enough time. My plan was to reheat it whole in the oven Sunday morning, but I'm worried about having enough time to reheat it before I leave at about 10:30am and having it hold temp until time to eat.

What do you guys do to reheat whole pork butts? Will the re-heat time be similar to the smoke time? Will it still hold temp like a fresh-smoked pork butt?

I always shred mine and reheat it later. These days..all with Sous Vide, but I've had no issues using a microwave safe bowl to do it either. Just pack it in a cooler with towels to insulate. Heck, use hot towels, might help!

I do suggest some sort of finishing sauce when reheating to retain moisture though.

To Re-heat, Hold and Serve, I like my Crock Pot. Heat your Pulled Pork on High until it comes to an IT of 165+, cover and Go. It will stay hot 45 minutes then just re-heat, if needed, or hold on Warm throughout the meal.
Another popular method is to Vac-seal in 2 pound bags and re-heat in simmering water. Adding a Finishing Sauce, as Tom mentioned, will boost the moistness and add flavor. Add the sauce to moisten the meat. The Pork should not be Swimming in it. Below are my two favorites....JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

POP Sauce

2C Cola
1/2C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Rub, whatever's on the meat.
1T Mustard
1T Molasses
1T Colgin Hickory Liquid Smoke (optional)

Add all to a pot and bring to a simmer, for 5 minutes.
For Finishing Sauce, keep warm and add to meat.

For Marinade, cool for 30 minutes the refrigerate until cold.
Marinate meat overnight.

For Glaze, reduce over low heat until syrupy. Brush over grilling meat and caramelize.
Enough for one average butt.

Reactions: JC in GB and Jonok
i've reheated in aluminum pans with some sauce, i've done this then placed on newspaper put a newspaper on top then wrapped in a towel drove to new jersey to a party which takes about 1 1/2 hours it was still hot when I got there.

I did 50lbs PP for daughters grad party in advance and can give you some experience. I don't know the exact science but I believe it's the thickness being reduced so the cooked meat reheats easily and faster than I ever imagined. I fired about half of it up early am while I finished setting up and found the stuff was basically ready in a few hours when I expected far longer. I think you will be fine. Baking 50lbs of baked potato was equally wild. I expected it to take forever but it only took like a little longer than normal. I like a roaster oven since it has temp control, my crocks are cheap and run way too hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky