Pork butt ham help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Medina Joe

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Ohio
It’s been a while since I posted. So since the kids don’t have school. I would like my son and I to make a Boston butt ham. I’d like to use Dave‘s Recipe. I may need some help. If I have any questions please bail me out.

Attachments

• 8FAD5228-B983-42CE-90A1-E25E68633DBA.jpeg
    8FAD5228-B983-42CE-90A1-E25E68633DBA.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 28

I’d like to use Dave‘s Recipe. I may need some help. If I have any questions please bail me out.
Do you have all the stuff to do the phosphate injected method ?
It's really pretty easy ( had Dave hold my hand on the first couple ) but made sure I knew why I was doing what I was doing .
I do mine exactly as he wrote it . That's one thing that I think needs no improvement .
I've been saving a chunk from when I make sausage ( coppa ? ) and using it for ham then grind the rest . Less fat that way .
Here's the last 2 I did .
20191011_064857.jpg
20191222_080608.jpg

Do you have all the stuff to do the phosphate injected method ?
It's really pretty easy ( had Dave hold my hand on the first couple ) but made sure I knew why I was doing what I was doing .
I do mine exactly as he wrote it . That's one thing that I think needs no improvement .
I've been saving a chunk from when I make sausage ( coppa ? ) and using it for ham then grind the rest . Less fat that way .
Here's the last 2 I did .
View attachment 436643
View attachment 436644

Same here, Dave walked me through the first couple times. If you really want to learn he will take his time to teach you.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'll ditto what Chop said. I've done it once, wish I had more time to make them. It's a great project and the hardest part really is the waiting. The pay off is more than worth it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Morning men.... Pulled this picnic out of the smoker, last night, about 7 PM... The recipe still works... first picnic in awhile...
I had cut the salt total, from 2% to 1.5%.... I don't care for the flavor at 1.5% so I ain't doing that again.. I shouldn't have messed with the recipe but.... There was this voice that said.......... "Cut the salt"... Must have been my doctor's voice...
Enjoy the weekend.... Dave

006.JPG

So I have everything but STPP will that be a problem

Last edited:
Here is everything. Are we missing anything

Attachments

• 3DD4EBC0-32D8-477E-BA5B-D2F34B74D7FF.jpeg
    3DD4EBC0-32D8-477E-BA5B-D2F34B74D7FF.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 18
Hey Joe . Is your stock regular or low / no salt ?
Also , the cure ,,, cure 1 ?

Cure should be good , but if the stock is salted you'll need to adjust what you add to that so it's not to salty . Is that a per serving amount on the salt ?

Cure should be good , but if the stock is salted you'll need to adjust what you add to that so it's not to salty . Is that a per serving amount on the salt ?
Yes per 1 cup
My pork butt weight is 8.65 pounds. And it does not say anything was added.

Thought so . I always use no salt stock . Maybe Dave can help you with an adjustment on the salt added . daveomak daveomak . Give him a chance to see this or reach out with a pm .

Reactions: Medina Joe
So I used digging dogs to come up with the proper cure for weight Cure 1= 9.97 grams, Salt=69.29, sugar 39.24. Does this sound right? How much stock do I use? How do I adjust the salt content because of the salt in the stock?

you need the amount of liquid . I came up with 382 grams of stock . The rest of you numbers are close to what I have .
If I did the math right I come up with an adjustment of 3 grams , but as I suggested maybe give Dave a chance to see this .

These are my numbers for that (I will do a spread sheet eventually): :emoji_laughing:

8.650 x 454 = 3,927.1g

10% stock 3927 x .01 = 390.27g
2% salt 3927 X .002 = 78.54g
1% sugar 3927 x .001 = 39.27g
.5% STPP 3927 x .005 = 19.64g
.025% cure#1 3927 x .0025 = 9.82g

It took me awhile to understand exactly how Dave did it but it is second nature now. This might a good tool to teach the boy that math is cool: the results are INSANELY precise. IMO it's basically a sausage formulation.

WRT using salted stock. I have tried alot of times to convert and have not succeeded. That said, I am not giving up since I am injecting stocks often now. For curing, I use water as I cannot locate no salt stock, I can find low salt but not no salt. Also, I reduce the sugar for my tastes but Dave's is far less sweet than say Pops brine (which based on my research is around 3%).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky