Pork Butt Cut Into Parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am very happy to say that the meat turned out great. Leaving the meat in the smoker until the IT reached 180 really made for a great smoke ring.

I let it rest in the closed oven after I turned the oven off for 1-3/4 hours. It shredded like a dream with barky bits all throughout. It was all my wife and I could do to not just bury our faces in it and chow down. I put the meat in gallon freezer bags, added some of the fat-separated juice back into each bag and stuck them in the freezer.

I'll be making JJ's finishing sauce to serve with this wonderful meat.

I want to thank those of you who posted here because you all are a part of my success tonight. Thank you!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I am very happy to say that the meat turned out great. Leaving the meat in the smoker until the IT reached 180 really made for a great smoke ring.

I let it rest in the closed oven after I turned the oven off for 1-3/4 hours. It shredded like a dream with barky bits all throughout. It was all my wife and I could do to not just bury our faces in it and chow down. I put the meat in gallon freezer bags, added some of the fat-separated juice back into each bag and stuck them in the freezer.

I'll be making JJ's finishing sauce to serve with this wonderful meat.

I want to thank those of you who posted here because you all are a part of my success tonight. Thank you!

Congrats on the success!!!

From here on out is more learning and tweaking to go from great to AMAZING!
I'm glad you waited until 180IT to wrap, it makes a HUGE difference in flavor.
I'm looking forward to the day you do one naked the whole way and enjoy that flavor.
Here's a post on how you can make an amazing pork but with max flavor and bark naked the whole way:

Finally, remember that with Pork Butts, Chucks, and Briskets that they are done with tender never by time or temp. You will use the meat's Internal Temp (IT) to tell you when to check for tenderness. You check for tenderness by stabbing all over with something like a wooden kabob skewer and if it goes in like butter ALL OVER then it is tender and done!
I let pork butts go to an IT of 203F before I do the tenderness test.
Briskets I start testing at 200F unless its a Prime cut and then I test at 198F.

It is disappointing to go through all that effort and pull early because a not-so-well placed thermometer tricks you into thinking you hit the finished temp. Many a brisket cooker can attest to this disappointment lol. The tenderness test will never lie to you :)

I look forward to your next smoke! :D

I already have a Costco pork shoulder weighing in at 9 lbs in the freezer for the next experiment. I liked what I saw on the "Butterflied Pork Butt" recipe linked above and I'm going to try the 275° smoke and no wrap next time.

I can see this is a terrible hobby to pick up with all the meat prices skyrocketing these days. I'll just use the money I would have spent on our going out to eat and spend it on MORE MEAT!

I already have a Costco pork shoulder weighing in at 9 lbs in the freezer for the next experiment. I liked what I saw on the "Butterflied Pork Butt" recipe linked above and I'm going to try the 275° smoke and no wrap next time.

I can see this is a terrible hobby to pick up with all the meat prices skyrocketing these days. I'll just use the money I would have spent on our going out to eat and spend it on MORE MEAT!

I can't wait to see how it comes out!
I check the weekly grocery fliers. Pork butts are $0.87/lb at Tom Thumb/Albertsons/Safeway stores near me starting Wed. I do live in the city and have 3 grocery stores within 1 mile of me, it's awesome!

Ribs were on sale all last week but this week it's kind of weak. Only the pork butts or $1.77/lb bonless skinless chicken breast and $3.97/lb angus chuck steak which is blasphemy here in TX when we get Choice brisket for like $1.98/lb like once a or often twice a month.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky