Pork Belly Cuban Melts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FishAndBeer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Wisconsin
Hey all it has been a while, hope everyone is well. It was almost 40 today in Wisconsin so I wanted to fire up the kettle. I recently saw a pork belly done like a brisket video and was inspired, so I decided to give it a try. I could of let my bark set up a bit more, but I was almost out of charcoal and decided just to wrap it and finish it in the oven.
IMG_20220208_173103.jpg

Turned out Super moist and tender

IMG_20220208_172230__01.jpg

Bend test

IMG_20220208_174652.jpg

Used the raw Costco flour tortillas I cooked them first. Than I threw the ham in the pan to get it nice and warm and than put all the ingredients together on the tortilla

IMG_20220208_175117__01.jpg

All in all they were a hit with everyone. I will be doing this again in the future. They would of been good as BBQ sandwiches too, but I wanted something different and am glad I tried it.

Cheers everyone

I love a Cuban sandwich. You nailed the pork belly and that wrap looks off the chart good. Nice work bud
Thanks Jake. It was perfect with the smokiness of the pork and the acidity of the pickles and mustard.
So um I’m just over the border in MN, I mean if you have any extra I could help you out. I love Cubans and that looks awesome. Very well done.
Thank you. Heck yeah man, being from MN I am sure you know that 40 degrees in February is almost tee shirt weather :emoji_laughing:

Looks fantastic!! Many people give me grief over not curing all my belly but I love belly done like this or burnt ends.
I've never cured and made bacon yet. Something on my To-do list. But this was fantastic and pork belly will always be on my rotation of things to smoke. Cheers jcam

Reactions: jcam222
That looks awesome! Very cool cook. My wife hasn’t let me do pork belly, but I may have to sneak it in there some time! Great job!

Reactions: FishAndBeer
Braised pork belly is one of my favorites. Never tried it brisket style in the smoker. Looks outstanding
Give the sliced and cold leftovers a quick reheat on the cooktop or a CI skillet for a taste and texture elevation.

That looks awesome! Very cool cook. My wife hasn’t let me do pork belly, but I may have to sneak it in there some time! Great job!
I have cooked pork belly many times and my wife turned up her nose.
We went to a trendy local (back in MN) restaurant and she had a Cuban made with pork belly. Now she wanted in on the belly.
You have to let them make it their idea.
I made NE clam chowder for supper. I rendered chopped pork belly instead of bacon to reduce the salt overload from canned clams.

Reactions: FishAndBeer
Braised pork belly is one of my favorites. Never tried it brisket style in the smoker. Looks outstanding
Give the sliced and cold leftovers a quick reheat on the cooktop or a CI skillet for a taste and texture elevation.

I have cooked pork belly many times and my wife turned up her nose.
We went to a trendy local (back in MN) restaurant and she had a Cuban made with pork belly. Now she wanted in on the belly.
You have to let them make it their idea.
I made NE clam chowder for supper. I rendered chopped pork belly instead of bacon to reduce the salt overload from canned clams.
Was thinking of making some hash with the leftovers.. and that's a good idea on the chowder. I love me some clam chowder.
Man that looks awesome!
Thanks Brian! It was sure tasty.

Great job. Clever idea on a Cuban sandwich. I've never tried to smoke a pig belly, but that's my next project when the weather improves.
Thanks! You'll love it!
FishAndBeer

I just happen to have a belly in the freezer and a hankering for a Cuban sammy. Thanks for the inspiration.

RG
You're welcome! I look forward to see it if you decide to do it.

Man , me too . That looks fantastic . Nice work .
Thanks chopsaw

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky