Porchetta - on Rotisserie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phantom krankor

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 15, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hey all,

So I decided on doing a porchetta for my last cookout, something a little different, and more complicated. Started off with a pork belly (around 4-5 pounds), and 2 tenderloins to wrap the belly around and provide some extra meat. I tried to separate the meat of the belly from the skin/flat, and did OK, but it was a little challenging. In the mortal and pestle ground together

Pepper
Fennel Seeds
Cumin
Oregano (fresh)
Thyme (fresh)

Chopped up half a head of garlic (love garlic) separately.

Layered the smelly goodness onto the belly, and fileted the tenderloin apart to

20210108_185921.jpg

Poked a bunch of holes into the skin to let the fat render out. Well salted the inside and outside of the whole thing.
Let sit overnight uncovered in the fridge to dry out the skin.

20210108_191557.jpg

Got the rotisserie going with some lump charcoal (B&B charcoal and apple chunks for flavor) on my diy welded charcoal basket from rebar.

Total cook time was maybe 2 hours 45 minutes or so, until the internal temperature read safe. Also, at the end of the cook, lowered it to right above the charcoal to get the bubbling crispiness.
I even tried to use a propane torch, but using charcoal is much easier.

20210109_134615.jpg

20210109_143353.jpg

20210109_191716.jpg

Ended up nice and crunchy.

Next up is Picanha and Tritip
:)

Very nice! The skin looks perfect. My oldest did her Chef Externship in Italy. The restaurant spun a Whole Hog Porchetta weeky. She said they were a challenge to bone out and roll, but had amazingly good flavor. I saw the pictures and YOURS looks every bit as Good! ...JJ

Reactions: phantom krankor
Thanks everyone! Yeah, turned out great. Pork belly ain't that cheap, but definitely worth it, makes for something special. You definitely need the skin on type of belly. I'm guessing Costco has it (they seem to have everything), but I got mine at the asian grocery store (H-mart's have a good meat counter)

And I made it on the carousel! One of my new year's resolutions haha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky