POLL: Ooops! Too much Prague #1 6.25% nitrite - emergency?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What should Andrew/WP8 do with this pork belly?

• Throw it out, you've turned it into poison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave it alone, the extra nitrite won't make much difference

• Rinse and re-cure with correct proportional amount (4/5 tsp) of Prague #1

• Rinse and re-cure with reduced amount of Prague #1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

webpoppy8

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
Boston North
Just double-checked calcs on bacon I've been curing 3 days to make a cold smoke for Easter.  My cure has two tsp of Prague #1 6.25% nitrite powder (plus other salt and brown sugar etc.). 

My pork belly was 4-1/4 pounds.  This leaves me at double the nitrite suggested by the "1 tsp per 5 lb" guidelines I've seen in many places.

My plan was to cure maybe 9 days (until Holy Saturday) and then cold smoke 15 hours or so.

I think I'll rinse and do a fresh rub with 1/2 tsp P#1, assuming that 3 days in double-strength rub will pick up the difference.  Looking for opinions...

THANK YOU!

Andrew/WP8

No worries. The level is high but nowhere near toxic. There are lots of bacon recipes in cookbooks that call for those levels of nitrite. Once you cook the bacon the nitrite levels will dissipate with the heat. I would suggest useing a cure calculator to get the correct ingredient weights in the future www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html With this one you can change the % levels of salt and sugar to suit your taste

I'd pull the meat from the cure on day 7. Rinse it, season it with whatever seasonings you want and then let it air dry uncovered in your fridge until your smoke day. After smoking (I go 18-24 hours) let it rest another five days in the fridge before slicing or packaging.

As mentioned above use Martin's calculator as your base dry rub curing. You can add whatever spices you like to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky