Pocket knife suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Mulvane, KS
Hello all, looking at getting a new folding pocket knife. I’ve had the typical kershaws and Gerbers. Any one here have skiff or used them before? I like several of their knives and hear good things about them. Looking to keep price at $50 or less. Thanks

I'm 63 and have been collecting Case Pocket knives since I was 16 years old. I have over 600 Case Knives in the collection. I buy most at gun shows however, Ebay is a great place to shop for Case knives. Go to Ebay site and type in Case knives or Case pocket knives. It will blow you away how many are for sale both new and never sharpened and very old that have never been sharpened. I have many other hunting and skinning knives made by other companies. CUTCO is my go to hunting/skinning knife for deer. You can find them on Ebay as well. Good luck finding your perfect knife.
HAWG

I carry a swiss army knife every day of the week, Victorinox brand I think, been carrying and losing them for 40 years or more probably , several sizes and configurations ,rugged and even if your no Mcgiver it may save you some trouble 1 day

I'm 63 and have been collecting Case Pocket knives since I was 16 years old. I have over 600 Case Knives in the collection. I buy most at gun shows however, Ebay is a great place to shop for Case knives. Go to Ebay site and type in Case knives or Case pocket knives. It will blow you away how many are for sale both new and never sharpened and very old that have never been sharpened. I have many other hunting and skinning knives made by other companies. CUTCO is my go to hunting/skinning knife for deer. You can find them on Ebay as well. Good luck finding your perfect knife.
HAWG
Another vote for Case. I have several of them and other brands. I have my Dad's OLD fixed blade hunting knives too. Best knife in my book!
ive been looking on the case website, they have a lot of nice looking knives, I like all the variations they have, and some unique features i haven’t seen before

Reactions: Hawging It
The most useful Pocket Knife I have is a Camillus TL-29 Electricians Knife. Just a blade and flat screw driver. I don't know what it's made of but holds an edge and can be made, shave with it, Razor Sharp. It's 20 years old and still takes care of business...JJ

The most useful Pocket Knife I have is a Camillus TL-29 Electricians Knife. Just a blade and flat screw driver. I don't know what it's made of but holds an edge and can be made, shave with it, Razor Sharp. It's 20 years old and still takes care of business...JJ

Damn fine knife. One has been hanging off my tool pouch for going on 30 years.

I have several also . One of my favorites was a 5.11 Tactical single blade folder with a clip .
It's my lost ,,, found ,, lost again knife . It's currently in the lost phase .
I have a Benchmade that likes to take walks as well. It's been in the lost phase for about two years now. If my wife didn't throw it away in a stack of newspapers I know it's in the house somewhere.
I laughed out loud when I read your post.

Reactions: chopsaw
It sounds like lots of good info here.
I currently only have a couple of folding pocket knives and I don't carry them very often. I have them for deer and hog skinning when I go hunting.

My application is generally skinning animals and I have one other fixed blade knife which is a fail safe tool for the wilderness that is legal "open carry" length in Texas should I go from the field and into town with it on my belt.

1) I always make sure that the blade is a good steel for the application, something with some carbon in it, check the steel number and make sure it's a good numbered steel for your application

2) After that for skinning I try to get blades 2 inches or shorter. That length is amazing for the amount of control you have with it. Smaller = more precision and ease of control.

3)Finally for skinning I get ones that have a handle/body that is "skeletal" like so that you can wash material that gets in the handle and blade very easily.

With all of those specs I am currently using less expensive "acceptable" steel skinning knives that are Buck brand. When skinning pigs their hide will dull anything so I prefer to have a blade that will sharpen easily in the field with simple/crude sharpening tools and I don't have to worry about ruining the blade because it isn't intended to be a pristine blade. I'm looking for just a work horse blade that will easily sharpen, hold an edge fairly well, and will handle a little bit of abuse very well.

One of them is this exact model. Notice how it is small bladed and can be washed easily to get all the gunk out of it.
316-parallex-2main.jpg

Depending on your application you may want to get a better quality steel than what I am using but again, this is all application dependent.

A great example of "application dependent" is that I have ceramic knives and steel knives at home and use them for different things. Slice chops off a pork loin with a ceramic knife or eat a boneless steak with a ceramic steak knife and you will know easy slicing/cutting heaven. Try and debone something with a ceramic knife and you will be break it to pieces and throw it in the trash lol.
Use a quality steel boning knife and you will debone a piece of meat with ease.

So have the correct knife for the job made of the correct materials and u can't go wrong :)

I have an old knife I got from the NRA, the steel is not very good, but I keep it razor sharp & carry it with me all the time. I don't have a CCP so I can't carry a gun, but the part of the country where I live it really is not necessary. Not much crime here, but having the knife in my pocket makes me feel safe.
Al

I have a few older Case knifes and some older Buck folding knifes, I have had these for awhile.
Always keep them sharp and people always want to borrow my knife because they know it's sharp.

Reactions: Hawging It
It seems like Benchmades like to wander. I carried a Griptilian with the sheepsfoot blade for 10-12 yrs until I lost it at work. I think someone found it and I hope they're giving it a good home. (sniff)
I've been carrying a cheap Kershaw Cryo since and I do like the assisted opening for those times when you only have one hand free. I'm thinking I might buy another Griptilian as my Christmas present though.

I found this knife by accident and it’s excellent. It’s a CRKT and I think it’s made in the US. Well under $50.00, at least the one I have. It’s a bit on the heavy side but durable. At the rate I loose them this is my go to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky