Pocket knife suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Necro thread but I will chime in.

Been carrying a pocket knife for 37 years (when did I get old, wtf...)

Anyway, I carry a CRKT Septimo. Favorite knife ever. Easy one hand use like someone else said. Assisted opening and the assist part becomes a pretty good finger guard.

That bump on the top of blade gives just a bit of height for my thumb to rest.

My favorite part is the large single serration. Knives that have that triple serration pattern do not cut rope and such as well as this single serration.

I will say not having a glass breaker wasC a terrible ommission.

I had a Gerber like the one you got. Eventually destroyed it, pounding on something or other where there is no glass breaker. Chances are I was a few drinks deep for that stuff.

Reactions: Marknmd
IMG_20230303_174428.jpg
IMG_20230303_174810.jpg

Picked up this OD green Benchmade M4 yesterday at Smoky mountain knife works. Nice knife

Last edited:
Reactions: nicefly and chopsaw
What the pictures don't show is the compass and diamond sharpening block that's on the sheath

For the $50-60 range, I think the Kershaw Leek is hard to beat.

My EDC is a Benchmade Barrage but thats a bit more, though when I bought it, I found a killer deal, less than $100 to my door

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I'm tired of the crappy knife sets that I keep buying from most of the chain stores around here. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a quality kitchen set? We don't need a huge set or anything, but just a pretty standard set of something quality that will last for a lot of years. I'm not opposed to having to buy some knives separately, like a single chef knife, or a set of steak knives.
Look for Wustoff, Shun or Hienkel and you wont go wrong. Some big box stores carry the lower end Hienkel, avoid those if you can. Weve had our Hienkel for yrs and not one bit of issue.

Go someplace like William Sonoma, if you have one near you and check out the knives. Note which ones you like and order online, probably find them chear than WS.

Reactions: bakerman and tallbm
I'm tired of the crappy knife sets that I keep buying from most of the chain stores around here. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a quality kitchen set? We don't need a huge set or anything, but just a pretty standard set of something quality that will last for a lot of years. I'm not opposed to having to buy some knives separately, like a single chef knife, or a set of steak knives.
I think Kevin has you steered right.
Keep your knife block if you have one. As weird as it sounds sometimes you can get a good knife set but not a knife block with it hahaha. I can't brag much on my kitchen knife set but it is a combo of knives from previous sets in a knife block from a cheapo set.

I like using ceramic blades for any meat work that does NOT deal with bones or bending/heavy use of the blade. Those things are freaking sharp as hell but brittle as hell. I'm a big fan of the sharpness of ceramic blades but I still have other knifes for boning and doing other things.

Wish I had better info for you than "make sure you keep the knife block you may have" lol.

A lot of great info in this thread! The "under $50" is going to make it tough. Like was mentioned before by a few others, the Kershaw Leek (and Scallion)is a great knife for just a little over your $50 budget. It comes with several different blade options and handle colors! There are a ton of case kn ives in that range too! The cool thing about Kershaw is you can send them back free of charge to be sharpened/oiled/replace missing screw etc! They will also replace a cracked or broken blade for just $25. Doesnt matter if it is on a $30 or $300 dollar knife! Top notch customer service, with a lot of Made in USA options in their arsenal!
Benchmade and Zero Tolerance are right up there at the top for quality and dependability, but they get kinda pricey! There is a fairly new company out of florida called Eikonic. They arent made in the US, but they are the best quality non US knife Ive ever seen. Im really impressed with them! They feature D2 steel blades and dual ceramic bearings in the flip knives that make them just as fast as any auto! Price ranges from$69-$95.

My current EDC is a Kershaw Blur, I will post a pic of it later or tomorrow. Great knife, Made in USA, several different configurations and price runs from $80-130 depending on the handle and steel used in the blade!

I found a knife the other day. It was from a company named Vortek. Looked them up and they have an extensive catalog mostly under $30. It wasn't very sharp but when I sharpened it I thought it was good steel. It took a nice edge. If there was a problem with it it was the weight. Heavy knife.

Call it Murphy's Law but I seem to only lose good knives to TSA or to dropping in inopportune places. I'm now buying cheap chinese knives. Some come with belt clips but they're easily removed. Prices have tripled lately. The Ozark Trail $3 Walmart camping knife is now serrated and doesn't take an edge very well but I've been pleased enough with thin and light eBay equivalents. And no heartbreak when one is lost.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Call it Murphy's Law but I seem to only lose good knives to TSA or to dropping in inopportune places. I'm now buying cheap chinese knives. Some come with belt clips but they're easily removed. Prices have tripled lately. The Ozark Trail $3 Walmart camping knife is now serrated and doesn't take an edge very well but I've been pleased enough with thin and light eBay equivalents. And no heartbreak when one is lost.
Ive gone that route most of my life! Mainly because of how much i would abuse/lose them. In the past, I have been a big fan of the 4-5 knife pack from shrade. Find them for around 25 bucks at Christmas time especially. The last pack i got was in 2016, still have 2 still kicking around. Blades are decent but the clips have been gone for awhile. I even broke the blades on 2 of them and they replaced the whole knife for me! Nothing wrong with running a beater knife for the rough stuff!

...Nothing wrong with running a beater knife for the rough stuff!
Cheap knives aren't so cheap lately. The Walmart "Ozark Trail" pocket knife I used to buy for $1 went to $2, then $3 and now is unavailable. Their cheapest is now $6...I plan to look at it this weekend...this thread has me doubting my sock drawer is well-enough stocked for an inflationary future.
Yesterday I bought a US-flag model on Amazon for $5 delivered...that should arrive this weekend too.
None of these have the dreaded serrations that makes stripping wire so difficult--a key req't for a pocket knife.

My last Kershaw kind of fell apart when I was seeding and fertilizing a few weeks ago. I used Kershaw for 10 years but after the "fall-apart" incident, time to move on.

I am temporarily carrying a Browning folding knife but need to get something that clips on. My knife is a tool and needs to be handy without sticking messy hands in my pocket. Hoping for some good suggestions in this long thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky