Pitboss 17 in griddle review and first cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Got in it today. Very easy to set up. Screw in the legs, screw in the grease cup holder, and attach the regulator. boom! Done. Hey! Justin, Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ listen up! 😂
Did the burn in….
A8880BFF-26E7-44AD-B6F0-61683E8444A4.jpeg
this is about halfway through. You can see the hot spots.
started the seasoning process. Used veg oil as that’s what I had in the house.
8F408121-7807-4C99-9ED2-A04FCB474EEB.jpeg
Gonna have to play with legs a little. The oil wanted to run to back right corner. Not quite level. And I want the grease to run towards the drain on the left back corner.
Now onto the breakin cook….been seeing all these Oklahoma smash burgers.
C9DDB9E5-C67C-4A03-B632-ED57DDF385C0.jpeg
Toasting the brioche buns.
F923023E-4B10-44DB-B790-0BFBC10AAA38.jpeg
first smash….yeah gotta work on technique. But hey, I’m a newbie!
43941C5E-49A8-4F31-91B6-D542B0581511.jpeg
flipped, cheese melted, and bun on to steam a little.
and the finish product!
7C2D6105-1525-429D-B1C9-D1210FD898E4.jpeg
a double for me and the boy. It ain’t pretty but I’ll take it for a first timer. Do I have a lot to learn…well yeah, but man I’m liking this already.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks for hanging around.
Jim

Got in it today. Very easy to set up. Screw in the legs, screw in the grease cup holder, and attach the regulator. boom! Done. Hey! Justin, Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ listen up! 😂
Did the burn in….
View attachment 658654
this is about halfway through. You can see the hot spots.
started the seasoning process. Used veg oil as that’s what I had in the house.
View attachment 658655
Gonna have to play with legs a little. The oil wanted to run to back right corner. Not quite level. And I want the grease to run towards the drain on the left back corner.
Now onto the breakin cook….been seeing all these Oklahoma smash burgers.
View attachment 658656
Toasting the brioche buns.
View attachment 658657
first smash….yeah gotta work on technique. But hey, I’m a newbie!
View attachment 658658
flipped, cheese melted, and bun on to steam a little.
and the finish product!
View attachment 658659
a double for me and the boy. It ain’t pretty but I’ll take it for a first timer. Do I have a lot to learn…well yeah, but man I’m liking this already.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks for hanging around.
Jim

Damn buddy, you broke that in nicely! Thanks for the shout out…. You da man… Da man that helps spend my $$!

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Nice first cook! I got an infrared heat gauge to check temps all over to find the hot spots.

Did these burgers tonight as well and my friend insisted the onions go on the griddle first then the meat??? I like the method you and I use. put the meatball on the griddle, then the salted onions and smash. Then flip and add cheese!

You are going to have soooo much fun playing with this.

clifish clifish yep that’s on my wishlist. Gotta sneak things in on the wife. She’s home during the day and gets all the Amazon box’s.
my oldest son does his the same as your friend. Gonna try ‘em both ways and see which I like best.

Jim

Reactions: clifish
clifish clifish yep that’s on my wishlist. Gotta sneak things in on the wife. She’s home during the day and gets all the Amazon box’s.
my oldest son does his the same as your friend. Gonna try ‘em both ways and see which I like best.

Jim
I like putting the salted onion on top of the meat ball then smash. On the first flip the onions are already embedded in the meat and will caramelize on the griddle. Flip, then add cheese and stack the two patties. His way there were some loose onions flying around. Don't get me wrong they were both delicious but our way was just a bit "cleaner"!

Lookin good Jim! Don’t it seem like the first cook on a new toy always tastes just a little better?

Congrats on the new griddle! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

Now that didn't take long. Nice Job on the burgers Jim

Point for sure
Chris

Jim
Jim,
Shoot me your address. I picked up a extra IR gun that you're welcome to if you want.

• Love
Jim , you nailed those . Looks fantastic ! Like said you're gonna love that .
meatball on the griddle, then the salted onions and smash.
Agree . If I do a slider type , I put the onions on the grill and steam the meat , but for these I like the method of thin onions on the meatball .
Gonna make me change my supper plans .
Nice work Jim .

Looks dang good Jim! And I'm especially hungry after watching that video!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky