Pit Boss vertical smoker - No smoke on any setting other than "Smoke"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yqyxzroh

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
I very recently bought a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker. I start up the smoker like so:
  1. Set dial to "Smoke"
  2. Power on smoker with the cabinet door open
  3. When I see smoke, close door and set to my desired cooking temperature
  4. Once smoker is close to my desired temperature (measured with a probe thermometer), I open the door and put food in
When the smoker was set to 300F, my probe thermometer was showing approximately 270F and there was no smoke.
When I tried lowering the set temperature to 250F, my probe thermometer showed 230F and there was still no smoke.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get this thing to smoke?

I don't know much about the verticals but they all operate the same. Check your P setting first. The lower the setting the more time before you have a smoke cycle. 4 is your factory preset so should smoke fine on that. I use 6. The higher the setting the more often it will smoke. Also the higher you set the smoker temp the less visible smoke you will have as the pellets will be burning up before creating smoke. You will get best smoke 200-250. Don't sweat the temp swings. No smoker regardless of fuel holds constant steady temps

I don't know much about the verticals but they all operate the same. Check your P setting first. The lower the setting the more time before you have a smoke cycle. 4 is your factory preset so should smoke fine on that. I use 6. The higher the setting the more often it will smoke. Also the higher you set the smoker temp the less visible smoke you will have as the pellets will be burning up before creating smoke. You will get best smoke 200-250. Don't sweat the temp swings. No smoker regardless of fuel holds constant steady temps
My smoker does not have a P setting. The control panel has two buttons - Power and Prime, and the temperature dial has the following settings: "Smoke", 150F, 175F, 200F, 225F, 250F, 275F, 300F, 350F, 400F, HIGH
I don't mind small temperature differences but the fact that there is no smoke is a bit disappointing. My previous smoker (MES + AMNPS) had visible thin blue smoke all the way up to ~250F...

My smoker does not have a P setting. The control panel has two buttons - Power and Prime, and the temperature dial has the following settings: "Smoke", 150F, 175F, 200F, 225F, 250F, 275F, 300F, 350F, 400F, HIGH
I don't mind small temperature differences but the fact that there is no smoke is a bit disappointing. My previous smoker (MES + AMNPS) had visible thin blue smoke all the way up to ~250F...
You should have a very tiny button with a P on it

IMG_20200817_172630.jpg

You should have a very tiny button with a P on it
This is what my control panel looks like, no P button... The two holes to the left and right of "PIT BOSS" are temperature probe holes.
1597703295950.png

Ok did some research. Weird but your p setting isn't adjustable. Your's smokes based on temp Alone. Start it up and after it's going turn to 225 for 30 minutes. See if it settles into rythmn. Takes 30min for the smoker to settle in usually. You should see smoke every 5min or so at that temp once it's settled. If it doesn't work come back and we'll try something else. I'll be around

Ok did some research. Weird but your p setting isn't adjustable. Your's smokes based on temp Alone. Start it up and after it's going turn to 225 for 30 minutes. See if it settles into rythmn. Takes 30min for the smoker to settle in usually. You should see smoke every 5min or so at that temp once it's settled. If it doesn't work come back and we'll try something else. I'll be around
I set it to 200 and 225F and it started pouring out smoke so I guess it was just the temperature being set too high. For future chicken cooks I guess I'll start the chicken around 200-225 to smoke for an hour or so before cranking up to 300F to crisp the skin. Thanks for your help!
If the smoke coming out is too thick/white, do you have any suggestions on what to do?

I set it to 200 and 225F and it started pouring out smoke so I guess it was just the temperature being set too high. For future chicken cooks I guess I'll start the chicken around 200-225 to smoke for an hour or so before cranking up to 300F to crisp the skin. Thanks for your help!
If the smoke coming out is too thick/white, do you have any suggestions on what to do?
The white smoke is only visible for a few seconds. Then it burns clear. Called thin blue smoke. And yes I smoke chicken low and slow and walk the temp up to crisp skin. Glad you got it figured out and post up some food pics. We like those

The white smoke is only visible for a few seconds. Then it burns clear. Called thin blue smoke. And yes I smoke chicken low and slow and walk the temp up to crisp skin. Glad you got it figured out and post up some food pics. We like those
So would this be the "proper" way to start my future cooks?
  1. Set dial to smoke
  2. Turn on smoker
  3. Wait for smoke to appear
  4. Set to 200 or 225
  5. Let smoker heat up & wait for thin blue smoke
  6. Put food in
  7. If low and slow (brisket, pork butt, ribs), keep temp at 200 or 225. If chicken, keep at 200/225 for 1-2 hours and then turn up to crisp skin
Will definitely take pics of my next cook, thanks again for your help!

Another quick question if you don't mind:
When I ran the smoker through the initial burn off a few days ago, I messed up and primed too many pellets. The temperature of the cabinet got to 500F+ (measured by my probe thermometer) and I saw a RAGING orange flash underneath the flame tamer. I panicked and quickly turned off the smoker. When the fire seemed to die down a bit (orange flash less intense), I used mitts to remove flame tamer. The burn box had a small fire and the pellets on the edge of the hopper were black and smoldering. I was worried about the hopper catching on fire so I blew everything out and used a spoon to scoop all of the smouldering pellets into a stainless steel box...
Was this the proper way to stop an out of control fire in a pellet smoker? What should I have done instead?

Yes on your start up procedure. Wait for the heavy smoke then the fan will turn on and clear it. That's when you set temp and close the door to let it heat. Try to wait 30 minutes to let things settle in.

When you prime all you need are a couple pellets to fall in pot then stop priming. You won't need to prime again unless you let your pellets run out or change wood flavors. Other than that the smoker will auto prime during start-up

Since you won't be priming often a out of control fire shouldn't be an issue but if it is....keep door closed and shut the smoker down with normal shutdown procedure

Yes on your start up procedure. Wait for the heavy smoke then the fan will turn on and clear it. That's when you set temp and close the door to let it heat. Try to wait 30 minutes to let things settle in.

When you prime all you need are a couple pellets to fall in pot then stop priming. You won't need to prime again unless you let your pellets run out or change wood flavors. Other than that the smoker will auto prime during start-up

Since you won't be priming often a out of control fire shouldn't be an issue but if it is....keep door closed and shut the smoker down with normal shutdown procedure
Thanks!

Reactions: TNJAKE
So would this be the "proper" way to start my future cooks?
  1. Set dial to smoke
  2. Turn on smoker
  3. Wait for smoke to appear
  4. Set to 200 or 225
  5. Let smoker heat up & wait for thin blue smoke
  6. Put food in
  7. If low and slow (brisket, pork butt, ribs), keep temp at 200 or 225. If chicken, keep at 200/225 for 1-2 hours and then turn up to crisp skin
Will definitely take pics of my next cook, thanks again for your help!

Another quick question if you don't mind:
When I ran the smoker through the initial burn off a few days ago, I messed up and primed too many pellets. The temperature of the cabinet got to 500F+ (measured by my probe thermometer) and I saw a RAGING orange flash underneath the flame tamer. I panicked and quickly turned off the smoker. When the fire seemed to die down a bit (orange flash less intense), I used mitts to remove flame tamer. The burn box had a small fire and the pellets on the edge of the hopper were black and smoldering. I was worried about the hopper catching on fire so I blew everything out and used a spoon to scoop all of the smouldering pellets into a stainless steel box...
Was this the proper way to stop an out of control fire in a pellet smoker? What should I have done instead?
I have the same Pit Boss Smoker from Lowes. I get good smoke at temps 250 and below. Above that and hardly any smoke because pellets are burning fairly efficiently. So far so good with food I've cooked (chicken, ribs, beef, fish, pulled pork) and I'm getting good smoke flavor as long as I keep temp in the right range.

Attachments

• 20200719_113443.jpg
    20200719_113443.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: TNJAKE
I have the same Pit Boss Smoker from Lowes. I get good smoke at temps 250 and below. Above that and hardly any smoke because pellets are burning fairly efficiently. So far so good with food I've cooked (chicken, ribs, beef, fish, pulled pork) and I'm getting good smoke flavor as long as I keep temp in the right range.
Do you have any issues with the set/measured temperature being too far off from the actual temperature? The smoker is set to 225 and is reading 225, but my thermometer is only reading 180F.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky