Pit boss Copperhead 3 series

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksnewbie88

Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
Does anyone happen to have a Pitboss Copperhead series 3 vertical smoker? Looking at putting one on layaway at my local Orschlins but i want some firsthand information about it beforehand. Does it produce good meat? Pellet consumption? Longevity of the smoker? Cleaning tips? Any other information that i can get would be helpful! Thanx in advance!!

Attachments

• 20180902_173600.jpg
    20180902_173600.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 117
I don't. But it sure looks like a nice smoker.

Lot of variables apply.
Which specific model do you have in mind?
The "7" series touts a 40 pound hopper, and 24 hours of use.
I think you could smoke a whale it it.
Other models are as expected, different sizes and capacities.

I've been lead to believe Pellet pushers generally use pellets at about the same rate as a propane units use gas.
But from experience, an AMNPS will run 11 hours on 15 ounces of pellets.

When I was shopping around, I realized I don't do huge. So I decided on specifics, and got a smallish MES 30, which does what I wanted it for. Small amounts, Salmon filet's, not whales or half beefs. ;)
YMMV

Bare in mind these pellet smokers have a low temperature of 150°, but the Pit Boss has a high temp of 400°. :eek:
So as long as what you'd like to use it for is in that range, or you realize adding an AMNPS to it for low temperature smoking would complete it (only if you have aspirations of cold smoking).

Last edited:
its good just make sure to keep water in the water pan, i've done some long smokes in it and bbq tasted so good makes you wanna slap yo mamma, the hopper is huge on this thing, at least eight hours minimum

According to the display model, it has a 40lb hopper and 25 hr cook time. That is crazy. How often do you need to fill the water pan? Wondering if i could get a spare to cut down on the door open time
its good just make sure to keep water in the water pan, i've done some long smokes in it and bbq tasted so good makes you wanna slap yo mamma, the hopper is huge on this thing, at least eight hours minimum

I top it off every two hours you can let it go longer but once waterpan is half full its gone in an instant (not really but you know how it is when grilling and chilling) so stay on top of it

Hope these are doing good,just put a 4.7 in lay away for the sons family for Christmas,will add a 3 year warranty and some pellets to the deal,bought him a gas lite performer last year,he wont have to wait til he's 50 to get toys lmao

Reactions: noble captain
Hi, my husband and I have a custom cinder block off set smoker we built and I go my husband the pit boss copperhead 5 seriss for Valentine's day and yes I know we are in January lol. Any way Walmart here in Louisiana had them from $449.00 on sale right after Thanksgiving ( about two week s after ) for $199.00 . So I got it because our other one is great, but big for smaller Cook's
Today I did chicken after I did all the prep and burn off. And really . I'm happy, I'm not lying it was so so easy. I have two good thermometer s so it was perfect. The temperature was very consistent and I didn't have to feed it all day starting at 4 am.
I feel that our big one has a better taste but I think itsi because I have to work harder for it lol. And we can do as much as we want and the temperature bounce back fast . But it was really cool to set up the pit boss and drink wine with the girls. When my man got home he was happy happy. Lol. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_112801400_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190117_112801400_HDR.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20190112_092937326.jpg
    IMG_20190112_092937326.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20181111_054739445.jpg
    IMG_20181111_054739445.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 95
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky