Pit Boss Vertical smoker 700 Series

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjmitche

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern Iowa
Hey guys,
I'm looking for opinions on the PitBoss CopperHead 700 series smoker. I would really like to upgrade to a larger smoker than what I have and I'd like to stay with a vertical build so I can do larger batches of links and summer sausage. As I investigate Vertical Pellet smokers the options are very limited. This new model from PitBoss looks like it has potential. The one thing about this new CopperHead series had that I don't love is the temp control. Unlike most pellet smokers, it doesn't offer any kind of temp fine tuning. Temp ranges from 150-450 but it is in hard 25-degree clicks on the temp knob. I personally like more control than that.
upload_2018-7-16_10-42-6.png

I'm interested in the thoughts of this group as well as opinions on the quality and workmanship of this line. I did check a smaller version of this smoker out at a local Menards and was not overly impressed with the build quality. The metal seems a bit thin, but I'm used to my super heavy vertical that I currently use.

Appreciate all opinions and comments.
Last quick thought. Are there any American made vertical pellet smokers worth looking into?

Hello
I have the 5 series smoker! This unit seem to work pretty good smoked 3 times on it and everything seem to run very well. Temp range is off on mine 5* +/- which i can live with. The build quality for the price point is good double walled and seem to hold temps petty well. I found by running mine with the meat on Smoke temp for 2-3 (Range 150-165) hours it smokes the mean heavy smoky taste and then bump it to 225* to cook it really help adding in more flavor to the meats. The meat photo is cook and Brisket Flat for 6 hours. 2 Hours on smoke and 4 Hours at 250* Was pleased with what it came out.

Attachments

• Pit boss.jpg
    Pit boss.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 120
  • Pit Boss 1.jpg
    Pit Boss 1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: tjmitche
i know the pellet hopper on that 7 series is Huge, when at smoking setting it will probably last all day with minimal check-ups unless your into that kind of thing

Hello
I have the 5 series smoker! This unit seem to work pretty good smoked 3 times on it and everything seem to run very well. Temp range is off on mine 5* +/- which i can live with. The build quality for the price point is good double walled and seem to hold temps petty well. I found by running mine with the meat on Smoke temp for 2-3 (Range 150-165) hours it smokes the mean heavy smoky taste and then bump it to 225* to cook it really help adding in more flavor to the meats. The meat photo is cook and Brisket Flat for 6 hours. 2 Hours on smoke and 4 Hours at 250* Was pleased with what it came out.

How do you like the temp controller? In my current gas vertical smoker, I have added a fine tuned regulator and I feel I have more control than the 25-degree increments available in the Copperhead series. Has it been an issue for you so far?

TJMitche - I like my temp setting they are with in 5 degree up or down i find that using my unit at Smoke temp 170-180 and setting dial to 225 to 300 seem to be right on;. but with high temps which i very little use for it might be off a little more maybe like 10/15 degrees but all in all its nice and like it for the price point of the unit. Cant complain really.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky