Pig Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey guys/gals, I am hosting a pig roast for ~50-55 people or so in a few weeks. I have rented a trailer grill with rotisserie from a local place and plan on cooking (5) 10 lb. pork shoulders. A good buddy of mine owns a pork focused butcher shop and suggested doing the shoulders as opposed to the whole pig to save on cost and not spending unneeded cost on the carcass.

I will be picking up the shoulders on Thursday afternoon and the grill/smoker on Friday afternoon. I was thinking about rubbing the shoulders with a mustard and wrapping them in saran wrap on Thursday, then seasoning them and/or injecting them on Friday. Then up and at it early on Saturday to get it going on the grill.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from you experts on things to think about, approximate amount of cooking time, rubs to use, lump charcoal and/or wood, etc.

I have a MES that i have done a few pork roasts in, but this is ramping up my hosting skills. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Dane!!
I can't help you with a Cook that Large, as all I do is Small amounts I can get on a rack or 2 in my MES.
I also see you're getting some Great help already (above).
I do have to compliment you on listening to your Good Buddy, when he suggested you do numerous Shoulders, instead of a Whole Pig. We've done a couple of whole Pigs in my Son's Big Pig Cooker, and found it isn't worth the Effort. Too much work before, during, and after the Smoke, and the only plus is that if there are Kids there, They Love Seeing a Pig in the Smoker!!

Best of Luck & have a Great Time For All,

Bear

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Hello all - First post here..

Read through this full "Pig Roast" forum but still looking for a bit more insight and tips into a whole roasting pig rather than multiple shoulders or whatever. I am doing my second roast this coming weekend, but the first time using an offset smoker rather than propane (last year). I have a fairly good understanding of the process needed, which is listed below, but still looking for any tips, tricks and feedback based on everyone's experience.

Pig Plan
My last go at this I didn't do any seasoning or pre-prep. The hog is coming dressed, but thinking I want to add a bit more spice and rub before throwing the ol girl on this time around. May just get something off the shelf from my local butcher, but if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.

Also - Ive read stuff on further opening the chest cavity and even cutting some slices in the hams to reduce cook time, evening out the cook so some things are super over cooked, but not sure how necessary that is.. With that, should i wrap the ears, feet and nose in foil??

Cooking Plan
I have a 60-70lb on order and a large offset bbq rig rented. The plan is to start a full package of bark charcoal in the side box and let it get red hot. Once that is rolling ill put on a piece of wood (I bought some Oak) to start the fire a bit, but still hold on throwing on the pig. Once that is mostly burnt and the coals subdue (thinking 45 min) I'll throw on a another log or two and try to hold the heat around 250 in the middle of the grill (understanding fire side thermo could be 275F and far side around 225F). From here, just checking in every 15-20 min to check heat, smoke and airflow.. If the rule is about 1hr per pound at 250, thinking I can start actually cooking the pig at 6am and be in a pretty good place around 1pm.

That's about it. Don't want to overthink it so trying to keep things simple. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Jason

Read through this full "Pig Roast" forum but still looking for a bit more insight and tips into a whole roasting pig rather than multiple shoulders or whatever. I am doing my second roast this coming weekend, but the first time using an offset smoker rather than propane (last year). I have a fairly good understanding of the process needed, which is listed below, but still looking for any tips, tricks and feedback based on everyone's experience.

Pig Plan
My last go at this I didn't do any seasoning or pre-prep. The hog is coming dressed, but thinking I want to add a bit more spice and rub before throwing the ol girl on this time around. May just get something off the shelf from my local butcher, but if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.

Also - Ive read stuff on further opening the chest cavity and even cutting some slices in the hams to reduce cook time, evening out the cook so some things are super over cooked, but not sure how necessary that is.. With that, should i wrap the ears, feet and nose in foil??

Cooking Plan
I have a 60-70lb on order and a large offset bbq rig rented. The plan is to start a full package of bark charcoal in the side box and let it get red hot. Once that is rolling ill put on a piece of wood (I bought some Oak) to start the fire a bit, but still hold on throwing on the pig. Once that is mostly burnt and the coals subdue (thinking 45 min) I'll throw on a another log or two and try to hold the heat around 250 in the middle of the grill (understanding fire side thermo could be 275F and far side around 225F). From here, just checking in every 15-20 min to check heat, smoke and airflow.. If the rule is about 1hr per pound at 250, thinking I can start actually cooking the pig at 6am and be in a pretty good place around 1pm.

That's about it. Don't want to overthink it so trying to keep things simple. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Jason
You really need to start your own thread to avoid confusion.

Pig Plan

Cooking Plan

Jason
You really need to start your own thread to avoid confusion.

Yup---What Chile^^^^ Said.

Bear

Reactions: Dane Wilson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky