Cooler for a 35-40 lb whole pig?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffShoaf

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
A question for you experienced whole hog folks...

What size cooler will hold a whole butchered 35 - 40 lb pig before cooking? Looking for something to transport the pig from the meat shop to home and then to hold overnight after dry brining. It'll probably be January or February before I need it but wanted to keep an eye out for a used one or a good black Friday sale.

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I think any large cooler will hold that size of a pig easy. I found this chart on Stryker Farm website that may help with sizing.
pig-sizes-2.jpg

Igloo Maxcold 152qt interior dimensions.

Specifications​

• Product Type: Hard Cooler
  • Product weight (lb.): 24.5
  • Rolling: No
  • Style: Ice Chest
  • Interior height (in.): 18.69
  • Activity: Camping
  • Total capacity: 152 qt.
  • Manufacturer warranty - general: 1 year limited
  • Exterior width (in.): 18.5
  • Interior width (in.): 18.69
  • Exterior depth (in.): 20.5
  • Accessory Color: White

Coleman 150
  • Interior Dimensions (inches) :40.2 x 15.1 x 14.7
Thanks - didn't expect anyone to do research for me!

Someone posted a pic of a 42 lb piggy in a Coleman 60 at cooler - he was in there but didn't look very comfortable!

Are you handy?
Build one out of 2" foam board. I haven't shopped in some time, but 2" foam used to be around $40 for a 4' x 8' sheet
A $5 tube of foam board adhesive

105qt or 150qt should do it depending on if you want to pack it in or lay it in. As you said some can be stuffed into a 60qt but that would be stuffing it in there if it fit.

I should have said that's the regular coolers not the thick insulated ones those are much smaller inside

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffShoaf
Are you handy?
Build one out of 2" foam board. I haven't shopped in some time, but 2" foam used to be around $40 for a 4' x 8' sheet
A $5 tube of foam board adhesive
I'm handy but since this probably won't be a one time thing, I'd rather cry once... Also, the reason the cook won't happen until January or February is I'm scheduled to have carpal tunnel release surgery on December 8 so I'm not so handy right now.

I'm keeping an eye on the local used market; if that doesn't pan out, I'm leaving towards this: https://www.academy.com/p/igloo-maxcold-glide-110-qt-full-size-wheeled-cooler

I'm keeping an eye on the local used market; if that doesn't pan out, I'm leaving towards this: https://www.academy.com/p/igloo-maxcold-glide-110-qt-full-size-wheeled-cooler
I'd want to get some better details on the cooler before buying it.
The specs are wonky...
Says is weighs 25.4 lbs and straight across from that says 31.5 lbs.
External width is 19 inches and internal width is 18.62 inches.
Must be cardboard walls it that is accurate. Haha

Does look like a nice cooler. USA made.

Wishing you well on the carpal tunnel surgery.

I used to live on west coast and foam coolers were cheap from the people bringing home fish from Alaska.
Don't discount a home build. They are pretty sturdy

I'd want to get some better details on the cooler before buying it.
The specs are wonky...
Says is weighs 25.4 lbs and straight across from that says 31.5 lbs.
External width is 19 inches and internal width is 18.62 inches.
Must be cardboard walls it that is accurate. Haha

Does look like a nice cooler. USA made.
Academy Sports has the best price that I've found and the local store is showing that they have it in stock so I'll definitely give it a physical exam before buying. I was in that area today and had intended on going to take a look but got sidetracked doing something for me mum.

Academy stocks a ridiculous variety of coolers.

Good choice getting one with wheels.
Yeah, I agree. My brother has a huge cooler (150 qt maybe); it's a two man job to move when loaded. I told him that I wanted one with wheels but he keeps sending me links to used coolers without wheels. I'd just borrow that one if it had wheels (plus he'll probably have it full of fries and hush puppies to fry to go with the pig).

I have a 40 or 45 qt Yeti knock-off that's pretty heavy when empty; after having two back surgeries (one lumbar and one cervical) within the last 5 years, I use a hand truck to move it when it's loaded.

We just use plastic visqueen maybe a large trash bag. Ice em down good and wrap.

RG
Not sure I could keep the cats out of that overnight!

Actually, I'm having trouble visualizing how to do that. Pig on the inside, then a layer of ice, then a layer of three of visqueen, then all of that in a big trash bag? Sounds difficult and messy to move...

105qt or 150qt should do it depending on if you want to pack it in or lay it in. As you said some can be stuffed into a 60qt but that would be stuffing it in there if it fit.

I should have said that's the regular coolers not the thick insulated ones those are much smaller inside

This, we brought back 4 - 60ish lb hogs back from Texas in a 105 and 150. They were 1/2d though. A 150 will do nicely. Just put a bed of ice the bottoms to keep it out of the water…..

I just looked and igloo 120 and 150….. you can get a 120 for 98bills and should cover you….

I’ve put 450lbs of elk in a 150 for overnight

I just looked and igloo 120 and 150….. you can get a 120 for 98bills and should cover you….

I’ve put 450lbs of elk in a 150 for overnight
I've been eyeballing the 150 at Sam's for $90, but having carried my brother's 120 loaded with ice, I'm pretty set on getting one with wheels.

I've been eyeballing the 150 at Sam's for $90, but having carried my brother's 120 loaded with ice, I'm pretty set on getting one with wheels.
Igloo has a 110 qt with wheels and pull arms for 155ish…..it would fit your bill too, I don’t use my 150 but when you need it it’s sweet, but it is a 2 person lift!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky