PID Design Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ECB1837D-CBDB-4E87-A840-F2965987AD6B.jpeg

It’s built and running. No fan yet and based on my limited experience I don’t think I need one. Currently I have the PID thermocouple hanging above a lamp in the basement and a digital remote thermometer (Inkbird) probe between the cooling fins on the heatsink. The heatsink temperature started at 68F and has climbed to 70F over a two hour period and has been holding steady at 70F.
Questions:
I hit the “Set” button once and I get A some spaces then fluctuating numbers ranging from 0 to 100. I’m guessing the A= Amps and the constantly changing numbers are a % of Amps being drawn?

Zero heat buildup in the heatsink playing in my basement with a SV value of 70F. Once I rewire my MES and start upping the SV to say 225F will the heatsink temperatures start rising?

I have a lighted on/off 3 pole switch. Pole 1 and 2 are hot in and hot out, pole number 3 has nothing hooked up yet. What should be hooked up to pole 3 to get the internal switch lamp to light? Neutral?

Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure about the A then numbers I don't think it will give a reading on amps it just changes how it cycles on then off times as it gets closer to the set point. Connecting the neutral to that should turn on the lighted switch unless it's a 12VDC switch then it will toast the light.

I'm not sure about the A then numbers I don't think it will give a reading on amps it just changes how it cycles on then off times as it gets closer to the set point. Connecting the neutral to that should turn on the lighted switch unless it's a 12VDC switch then it will toast the light.
Thanks, 120AC.

Does anyone know if the factory supplied Type K thermocouple ITC-106VH is waterproof enough to withstand a calibration in freezing and boiling water? No mention in the supplied documentation.

Found the information I was looking for. It is not waterproof.

Last edited:
Inkbird Inkbird
Does anyone know if the factory supplied Type K thermocouple ITC-106VH is waterproof enough to withstand a calibration in freezing and boiling water? No mention in the supplied documentation.

Found the information I was looking for. It is not waterproof.

Thanks Kurt. Took every thermometer we own, laid them out side by side and took an average to calibrate the PID. Tossed two away that were off by 5F and 7F that had no means of calibration.

Reactions: olaf
Probably not as well. Though I don't know for sure.
Thermal paste is easy to find (??) I found mine at a PC repair store. I wished I had known that I would need some. I threw out my old batch two weeks before I decided to upgrade my smoker.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky