Pit Boss 820D PID controller upgrade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cronocide

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey yall,

I had been looking for a better control of temperatures on my PB820D that is a few years old. I didn't want any modification and preferred plug and play. I happened to notice that Pit Boss themselves have and upgraded controller for the older models which is:
1. A PID controller
2. Has bluetooth and wifi connectivity along with it being controllable from their app

and

3. Has built in meat probes connections.

I pulled the plug about 4 days ago and it delivered today. It took less than 30 mins to install. I ran a test with it set to 180* and it stayed within 8* of that set point. You can also set a control temperature to one of the meat probes and once the internal temp of that probe meets the set temperature it automatically sets the smoker to 180* to keep the food warm. Connection to their app was easy and you can control temperature as well as power to the grill from the app. I wanted to make this post for those that may be looking for a PID with better control with an older model pit boss as I haven't seen any posts about this controller. If you got to Pit Bosses website is is SKU 80036 for the vertical controller.
Pit Boss PID.jpg

Last edited:
Hey yall,

I had been looking for a better control of temperatures on my PB820D that is a few years old. I didn't want any modification and preferred plug and play. I happened to notice that Pit Boss themselves have and upgraded controller for the older models which is:
1. A PID controller
2. Has bluetooth and wifi connectivity along with it being controllable from their app

and

I pulled the plug about 4 days ago and it delivered today. It took less than 30 mins to install. I ran a test with it set to 180* and it stayed within 8* of that set point. You can also set a control temperature to one of the meat probes and once the internal temp of that probe meets the set temperature it automatically sets the smoker to 180* to keep the food warm. Connection to their app was easy and you can control temperature as well as power to the grill from the app. I wanted to make this post for those that may be looking for a PID with better control with an older model pit boss as I haven't seen any posts about this controller. If you got to Pit Bosses website is is SKU 80036 for the vertical controller.
View attachment 665067
For reference, I am smoking burgers at 180* and here is the grill readout vs. Chamber temp using a Maverick XR-50 therm.

Attachments

• 20230508_174227.jpg
    20230508_174227.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230508_173516.jpg
    20230508_173516.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: JC in GB
Hey yall,

1. A PID controller

and

View attachment 665067
Very nice. Glad to hear that this worked out for you so well. I would much rather upgrade than replace if possible.

JC :emoji_cat:

I got a message in to them about a wifi controller for my Austin lx, hoping its a 5 degree settings instead of skipping a lot of temps, $150 plus shipping probably but cheaper than a new smoker,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky