Pickled Hungarian peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
After my happy results making pickled jalapeno peppers I wanted to do banana peppers. I couldn't the ones I wanted. So I went with the Hungarian peppers. Which are close to the banana peppers I wanted, just a bit hotter. I bought a touch over a pound of them. Sliced them in half length wise. Removed most of the seeds. The recipe is pretty straight forward:
1 large onion sliced
4 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of the following:
Mustard seed
Dill seed
Celery seed
1 Tablespoon of pepper
4 tablespoons course kosher salt
Added all ingredients except the onions and peppers in a non-reactive pot. And brought it to boil for a couple of minutes. I packed 2 quart jars with the peppers and onions.
Then filled the boiled jars with the liquid to half a inch from top. Capped and let them cool on the counter until they sealed. Now the wait begins. I figure about 2 weeks to use them.

P1271808.jpg
P1271809.jpg
P1271811.jpg
P1271812.jpg

And I just couldn't wait. I opened a jar two days ago. And that jar is now empty. Very good taste with just a touch of heat. I am so impressed with this that I'm going to try this brine for pickled eggs.

And I just couldn't wait. I opened a jar two days ago. And that jar is now empty. Very good taste with just a touch of heat. I am so impressed with this that I'm going to try this brine for pickled eggs.
Why not put the eggs in the brine after you eat the peppers?
Richie

Reactions: SonnyE
I've saved Pickle jars with brine after the kids eat the last pickles, and full them back up with Pealed Hard boiled eggs.
Pickles the eggs in about a week.

Can't say as I blame you for raiding Peter Pipers Peck of Pickled Peppers.
You will just have to start more before the next jar disappears... LOL! :emoji_laughing:

I need to try this. I really like them but never made them.

Thanks all. I'm going to make pickled eggs, even though I still have some, later today.

I've saved Pickle jars with brine after the kids eat the last pickles, and full them back up with Pealed Hard boiled eggs.
Pickles the eggs in about a week.

Can't say as I blame you for raiding Peter Pipers Peck of Pickled Peppers.
You will just have to start more before the next jar disappears... LOL! :emoji_laughing:

I haven't done that with eggs. But I've put fresh green beans in them instead.

Reactions: Walchit and SonnyE
Thanks for the likes! The wife boiled some eggs for me. So I'll be getting those ready between getting the corned beef and cabbage cooking.

The eggs I put in the famous daves devil's spit pickle brine are good and Menards has those pickles on sale for $1.99. I have a huge glass pickle jar about 1.5-2 gallon. I can do a bunch of eggs but want to know how long they can be in the brine in the fridge if there is a time limit.

The eggs I put in the famous daves devil's spit pickle brine are good and Menards has those pickles on sale for $1.99. I have a huge glass pickle jar about 1.5-2 gallon. I can do a bunch of eggs but want to know how long they can be in the brine in the fridge if there is a time limit.

I've had pickled eggs in the fridge for a couple of months with no problem. If anything they just got more pickled.

Outstanding.
Wife and i make batches of various pickled products depending on the garden output.
I'm out of dilly beans so that is first on my list for this summer (if it ever knocks this nasty winter away) plus some other first tries with garden produce.

I don't use Morton (or any) Kosher salt due to the anti caking additives used to produce the flake. I did use Morton pickling salt at 1/2 amount.
Changing over to a non refined salt product this year.

I've since changed to pickling salt as well. I'm waiting for fresh beans to hit the store. I love Dilly beans. But at 6.00 for a pint jar I have a hard time buying them. I don't have a garden. So I depend on fresh produce stands. I'm also going to do pickled turnips.

Reactions: Walchit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky