Picanha - Do you usually slice first then smoke/grill or treat it like a Prime Rib?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
In another thread, I saw that many on this awesome forum get meats from Wild Fork. With that in mind, I have several things in my cart at the moment, one of which is Picanha - USDA Prime Beef Picanha – Wild Fork Foods.

For those that have done this cut, do you usually slice it up into individual steaks and then grill/smoke, or do the whole piece and then cut it up like a prime rib roast? I am not really concerned about the Brazilian steakhouse style of presentation, but certainly like to get as much flavor as possible.

And regardless of slices vs. whole piece, are you smoking and then searing to finish off?

Thanks as always!

Reactions: JLeonard
Reactions: GrumpyGriller
I've had it both ways, it's great either way. If your family doesn't care for the fat cap, you can trim it off for max seasoning if you're cooking it as a roast.

Yep - that makes sense. I'd probably end up with the WF roast piece and then can cut as needed since it's less expensive that way :)

Reactions: negolien
Yup, this steak is meant to be cooked med-rare. Oh, the fat cap is important for the flavor profile, IMO. Just watch it carefully when on the grill. I usually lightly cross-hatch it and grill the picanha indirectly with a final step of high searing to get the IT correct, and char up the cap a bit more. :emoji_relaxed:

... do you usually slice it up into individual steaks and then grill/smoke, or do the whole piece and then cut it up like a prime rib roast?

Do not cut like a prime rib. For a large roast, I would first score the fat cap, dry brine overnight, sear on all sides (especially the fat cap if you have one), then cook indirect at 250-300F to about 110 IT (with or without smoke wood). Let rest and cut into steaks WITH the grain. Then cook the steaks to 130 (or whatever) directly over medium coals, rest again, and finally slice ACROSS the grain for serving. Of course others may have different, even better, recommendations.

Last edited:
Do not cut like a prime rib. For a large roast, I would first score the fat cap, dry brine overnight, sear on all sides (especially the fat cap if you have one), then cook indirect at 250-300F to about 110 IT (with or without smoke wood). Let rest and cut into steaks WITH the grain. Then cook the steaks to 130 (or whatever) directly over medium coals, rest again, and finally slice ACROSS the grain for serving. Of course others may have different, even better, recommendations.
I like the combo cook idea....thanks!

I would do the searing at the end if u plan on getting any smoke on it but otherwise 100%

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
I put rub on them and then smoke them till it hits the internal temp we like. Then throw them on the grill to sear them. Just did 2 last weekend.

In another thread, I saw that many on this awesome forum get meats from Wild Fork. With that in mind, I have several things in my cart at the moment, one of which is Picanha - USDA Prime Beef Picanha – Wild Fork Foods.

For those that have done this cut, do you usually slice it up into individual steaks and then grill/smoke, or do the whole piece and then cut it up like a prime rib roast? I am not really concerned about the Brazilian steakhouse style of presentation, but certainly like to get as much flavor as possible.

And regardless of slices vs. whole piece, are you smoking and then searing to finish off?

Thanks as always!
I’ve cooked a lot of them, and always cook them whole, indirect with Weber kettle/slow n sear, or lately just above the flame on my new SM attachment. I bring IT to 120-125 then sear over direct heat/flame to 132-138, pull rest about 10-15 min, and make sure you slice against grain. Comes out perfect every time.

Last time I did picanha I sliced it up before cooking and did it like a steak, but I thought this was interesting from youtube

What appeals to me is slicing it and getting that crust over and over again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky