Phosphate- secret weapon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
Riding on the heals of others... @daveomak , chopsaw chopsaw ., and others I'm playing around with phosphates. Used as a moisture retainer I thought I would try elevating up a round roast. Now, round is notoriously a difficult "shoe leather" kind of cut. So this theoretically would be a great candidate... here is my experience.

This one had a pretty good sized bone in it making it difficult to slice thin.so I deboned it and tried to tie it up with butcher twine before injecting. After deboning and trim I was left with 3 lbs and a very loose roast and the twine wasn't going to hold it together like I wanted. So I just stiffed it in a mesh bag.

I measured out the phosphate and made up beef broth injection for 10% solution and injected. Went back in the fridge to rest. Stand by for the follow up and results.

20180720_165457.jpg
20180720_170239.jpg
20180720_171325.jpg
20180720_171501.jpg
20180720_172553.jpg

20180720_173405.jpg

20180720_174323.jpg

Last edited:
Watching this also. I used it in my big hams. Want to try poultry.

I've certainly heard a lot about it, but never used any.
Will be interested to see how your roast comes out.
BTW, you can SV a round roast & have it fork tender without any additives!
Al

Reactions: forktender
Very nice. Can’t wait to see the final product. Although he lacked the skills to expertly command his backyard grill, Clark Griswold’s contribution in developing food additives should be commended.

I've been using B&P #414 in sticks and sausage for years. Great stuff!!! I've never thought about using it in an injection (guess I've lead a sheltered life), but it makes sense. This will indeed be interesting to follow as well as some of the other suggestions made here.

And for any concerns about phosphates being "chemicals"... Phosphates are not a synthetic or man made compound and occur in nature in a lot of the foods you eat already. This is just that substance (or substances as they are usually a blend) extracted into a pure form for controllable and measurable use in a specific purpose.

that appears to be the heal end of a full round.
That indeed would be a great thing if you can make it tender and moist.
that particular piece of meat is notorious for being tough and dry if cooked incorrectly (Like my Mom would do it... dry, open, and in a 375F oven! Can you say Steel Belted Radial Tough???)

I LOVE those cuts when someone else does them right, as the FLAVOUR is amazing! And if moist and tender??? Wow! I can eat a LOT of it with gravy and rice!

I wonder if you could cold smoke for two hours THEN SV? best of both worlds??

That is very interesting, When we butcher our stuff the rounds usually go to cutlets, jerky or ground. So I will be watching this for sure..

Reactions: nanuk
Here is the turkey for experiment #2. Guess what is already in the "enhanced" formula? Yup. Sodium Phosphate!
20180720_192143.jpg
20180720_192206.jpg

I'm not sure I have ever seen a turkey up here "Enhanced" except the "ButterBall" brands that have grease injected into them....

I will have to look now, real close!

12# turkey injected with salt sugar STPP and cure #1 in Apple juice and slaughterhouse poultry injection seasoning.
I opted to only inject instead of brine.
Stuffed I a large zip lock bag and will be a 2 week wait in the fridge.

Attachments

• 20180721_111054.jpg
    20180721_111054.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180721_152701.jpg
    20180721_152701.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180721_154335.jpg
    20180721_154335.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 16
Riding on the heals of others... @daveomak , chopsaw chopsaw ., and others I'm playing around with phosphates. Used as a moisture retainer I thought I would try elevating up a round roast. Now, round is notoriously a difficult "shoe leather" kind of cut. So this theoretically would be a great candidate... here is my experience.

This one had a pretty good sized bone in it making it difficult to slice thin.so I deboned it and tried to tie it up with butcher twine before injecting. After deboning and trim I was left with 3 lbs and a very loose roast and the twine wasn't going to hold it together like I wanted. So I just stiffed it in a mesh bag.

I measured out the phosphate and made up beef broth injection for 10% solution and injected. Went back in the fridge to rest. Stand by for the follow up and results.

View attachment 371349 View attachment 371350 View attachment 371351 View attachment 371352 View attachment 371354
View attachment 371361
View attachment 371355
What happened to the roast? Did I miss it somehow or is it still resting with the injection?

Got the roast in now. 2 rows of pitmasters choice pellets. MES at 225' for a couple hours then will pan and braise in stock. I hope the nylon bag doesn't melt!
20180722_094752.jpg
20180722_094850.jpg

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
I hope it doesn't melt either...lol. I'm always worried about materials melting or offgassing. Cooking utensils are sometimes made from nylon, so hopefully it's the same type of nylon and it'll be ok.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky