Pecan Crusted Duck Patties with Cumberland Sauce, garlic wilted spinach, wild rice, Butter buns and side salad with strawberry vinegrette

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Heck of a nice looking meal Keith!
We had a foreign exchange student from France... they ate their meals one course at a time.

Ryan

Reactions: indaswamp
1678069367620.png

• Haha
Maybe my browser is acting weird, but I'm only seeing the bottle of wine and finished plates at the table. What I can see though looks fantastic!! You never cease to amaze with the creative and fun meals you put together with game meat. I am duly impressed Keith!! Keep 'em coming buddy.

Robert

Maybe my browser is acting weird, but I'm only seeing the bottle of wine and finished plates at the table. What I can see though looks fantastic!! You never cease to amaze with the creative and fun meals you put together with game meat. I am duly impressed Keith!! Keep 'em coming buddy.

Robert
Thank you Robert. The pictures show up on my screen, it very well might be your browser.

I've been cooking game meat for so long....we got tired of the same old cajun ways to prepare it and started looking for new ideas. Found a few winners to keep it interesting. I still want to try this dish with ground goose meat though.

They are showing up now. I know what you mean about wanting to expand from the basic same ol' same ol' meals. I tend to try that regularly.

Robert
Sometimes it is hard to do with wild game....you work and hunt so hard to get the meat, it is a risk that the meal won't turn out the way you hoped. It's not like you can just go down to the grocery store and buy more if it goes south like you can with domestic meats. Sometimes I'll do a trial run with pork or beef just to get a feel for the cook and the flavor profile and then make adjustments when I swap over to game. But we have discovered some really exceptional ways to cook what can be tough and gamey meat.

Not sure where to start, but it all looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow what a meal! If I were there, my plate would look licked clean like yours, nicely done!!

That's a hell of a grand meal you've got there Keith, from start to finish, and the duck patties are exceptional.

Cumberland sauce is one that I haven't had or made in years, or more like decades. If I recall correctly, it was one of those many sauces that was originally developed to mask or neutralize the taste of gamey meat, though I'm sure that wasn't the case with your duck patties.

Great job!

Been wanting to do this one for a while now. Finally decided to pull the trigger.

I had a gallon bag of duck breasts from my hunting trip to Kansas. Did not vacseal them, just in a ziplock and threw them on the top shelf in the freezer to be cooked soon. Well, soon is now!
View attachment 659257
View attachment 659258
Home run food nirvana! The bitter/sweet, savory/tangy cumberland sauce was the perfect sauce to go with the toasted pecan and the seasoned duck patties. The entire plate was a symphony of flavor. The bitterness from the wilted spinach balanced the sweetness from the sauce. The earthy notes in the wild rice brought the wild taste forward in the duck patties. And the wine -a 10 year aged Valpolicella made by my Cousin- tied the entire plate together.
View attachment 659259
Oh- and can't forget about the homemade butter buns! Those were stellar as well.

Was a great evening to dine outside! mid 50's with a slight breeze....felt AWESOME...and no mosquitos!!!!
View attachment 659260
We ate the meal as the french...salad last. was a good choice with the bold flavors on the plate. I am so glad I made a bunch of these duck patties....looking forward to doing this one again!
View attachment 659261

So good! Top 5 meals I have cooked this year so far!!!
Looks great!

That's a hell of a grand meal you've got there Keith, from start to finish, and the duck patties are exceptional.

Cumberland sauce is one that I haven't had or made in years, or more like decades. If I recall correctly, it was one of those many sauces that was originally developed to mask or neutralize the taste of gamey meat, though I'm sure that wasn't the case with your duck patties.

Great job!
Thanks dsl1, if you ever get some duck I highly recommend this dish!
Yes, you are correct about the Cumberland sauce. It just goes so well with wild game....

Thanks dsl1, if you ever get some duck I highly recommend this dish!
Yes, you are correct about the Cumberland sauce. It just goes so well with wild game....
I'll definitely give the dish a go. It was wasn't mentioned in your write up, but I assume you removed the fat from the duck breasts.

As I understand it, the sauce was originally developed to specifically be served wit cold venison. Just another one of those English fruit sauces in the same vein as mint jelly with lamb (most likely mutton), and cranberry sauce with wild turkey.

If I recall correctly, it was one of those many sauces that was originally developed to mask or neutralize the taste of gamey meat, though I'm sure that wasn't the case with your duck patties.
So the ducks we used in the dish are redheads. Redhead ducks are divers, which have a bad reputation for being 'fishy' tasting. With two exceptions-Canvasbacks and redheads. Both are white fat ducks and both consume 90-95% vegetation. Excellent table fare. They did not disappoint with the pecan crusted patties either.

Reactions: dls1
Made these again tonight. Cousin took time off from the firehouse for a medical procedure and I had been telling him how good this meal was. Promised him I'd cook it when he returned on shift So tonight was the night...
IMG_20230420_175733.jpg

IMG_20230420_175735.jpg

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.