Peanut Brittle ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Too too easy to do. Pot must be shiny clean. Don't want any magic crystallization. I even after it is shiny clean, rub the inside with butter (even if I am using glass pots). While that butter is out go ahead and rub some lightly all over a 1/2 tray. Now we are all ready.

Looks like the dog threw up in this picture.......LOL Chunks!

IMG_9194.JPG

Recipe........
Ingredients:
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups raw peanuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
Cook sugar, karo, and water till it spins a thread. Add nuts (pepper and salt) and continue cooking to amber stage. You'll actually hear some peanuts pop. You want to heat to hard break but not past it, don't get in a hurry. (Hard break is like 290 to 300 I think)
Add vanilla and soda, pour as thin as possible on greased cookie sheet.

NOTES ::
You really don't need the vanilla extract, instead I add a pinch of ground cayenne and a pinch of salt. Bazinga!
Use a large pot, its molten sugar and even a little bit will make you say bad words. ALSO when you add the baking soda, just beat it, beat it beat it, its gonna foam. Beat it till its quit foaming, then quickly pour it into the tray. Be carefull.
Personally, at this point I spin the tray. It moves the brittle out from the center making it a little thinner.
After it cools drop it hard and it will break.

All broken hearted.... I mean broken brittle.

IMG_9196.JPG

Make it light make it dark, be careful though too dark it gets a scorched taste. You can add vanilla, coconut, maple, any extra for a slightly different variation. That little cayenne makes your mouth wonder what is going on with it. And a pinch of salt always makes sugar better.

If you like brittle and this is easy eating not hard rock candy, try it.

Too too easy to do. Pot must be shiny clean. Don't want any magic crystallization. I even after it is shiny clean, rub the inside with butter (even if I am using glass pots). While that butter is out go ahead and rub some lightly all over a 1/2 tray. Now we are all ready.

Looks like the dog threw up in this picture.......LOL Chunks!

View attachment 376774

Recipe........
Ingredients:
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups raw peanuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
Cook sugar, karo, and water till it spins a thread. Add nuts (pepper and salt) and continue cooking to amber stage. You'll actually hear some peanuts pop. You want to heat to hard break but not past it, don't get in a hurry. (Hard break is like 290 to 300 I think)
Add vanilla and soda, pour as thin as possible on greased cookie sheet.

NOTES ::
You really don't need the vanilla extract, instead I add a pinch of ground cayenne and a pinch of salt. Bazinga!
Use a large pot, its molten sugar and even a little bit will make you say bad words. ALSO when you add the baking soda, just beat it, beat it beat it, its gonna foam. Beat it till its quit foaming, then quickly pour it into the tray. Be carefull.
Personally, at this point I spin the tray. It moves the brittle out from the center making it a little thinner.
After it cools drop it hard and it will break.

All broken hearted.... I mean broken brittle.

View attachment 376775

Make it light make it dark, be careful though too dark it gets a scorched taste. You can add vanilla, coconut, maple, any extra for a slightly different variation. That little cayenne makes your mouth wonder what is going on with it. And a pinch of salt always makes sugar better.

If you like brittle and this is easy eating not hard rock candy, try it.
*Opens SMF
*First post on list... Peanut Brittle

giphy.gif

Loves me some peanut brittle! nice touch with the cayenne too. Bookmarked.

Dang it Kevin,what are you doing posting this at this hour when everyone has the munchies!
Well...I'm at least gonna dig the candy thermometer out tonight.;)

Reactions: nanuk
What peanuts why I thought in your area it would be pecans??? Great job one of my favorite candies. My wife has a recipe where she makes it in the micro wave. Anybody want it I will post it.

Warren

Now Judy could eat that whole pan in a heartbeat.

that has to be her favorite sweet thing to eat.
Al

I love peanut brittle Kev but I've never made any. Now I'm gonna have to try it.
You used raw peanuts--don't ever recall seeing them around these parts. Any reason I can't just use some "ready to eat" nuts??
Since my world is covered in snow and I'm bored, today is probably a good day to give it a whirl.
POINT
Gary

I love peanut brittle Kev but I've never made any. Now I'm gonna have to try it.
You used raw peanuts--don't ever recall seeing them around these parts. Any reason I can't just use some "ready to eat" nuts??
Since my world is covered in snow and I'm bored, today is probably a good day to give it a whirl.
POINT
Gary
I'm going out on a limb, but all my cookbooks have peanut brittle calling for plain roasted peanuts. I'm guessing if you lack raw, just get plain peanuts that are roasted? IE; not flavoured or candy coated. A quick rinse in water would get rid of most salt they got I think..

Dang it Kevin,what are you doing posting this at this hour when everyone has the munchies!
Well...I'm at least gonna dig the candy thermometer out tonight.;)

Sister is about to do her yearly, week long hike in Georgia and she always asks for it and other stuff (They seem to be carrying a load of snacks, especially for a bunch of hikers).

*Opens SMF
*First post on list... Peanut Brittle
Loves me some peanut brittle! nice touch with the cayenne too. Bookmarked.

I always love brittle too. When on vacation all my Aunts would have it laying around.

It didn't look like that until you said it! :rolleyes:

Never judge a book by its cover. LOL

Thanks Kevin.... Time to mess up the kitchen again..

Your welcome Dave

If you butter the pot and the tray, a little warm water and its clean again.

Pot will be legal across Canada in a few weeks.....
MANY are going to need this!

Cheeto's and Mountain Dew!

Looks good. Cashews instead of peanuts will make you slap yo' momma.

Thank you

You must watch cashews carefully, they will scorch much easier than peanuts.

Pretty sure the consensus is if you cover something in a whole mess of sugar... It's pretty darn good!
foamheart foamheart , ever add little bits of crispy bacon?

Nope, never tried it with brittle that I remember. I have added bacon bits to pralines though and apple pies.

What peanuts why I thought in your area it would be pecans??? Great job one of my favorite candies. My wife has a recipe where she makes it in the micro wave. Anybody want it I will post it. Warren

I save my pecans for other things and the local ones are not like those Georgia or Texas pecans.

Pecan brittle is really good too.

Local pecan (which with trees on my property is what I use), are too dry. There is little or no moisture or oil inn them. They taste Ok, but cooking with them takes some thinking.

POINT
Gary

Gary, I have used dry roasted, or salted Spanish, or whatever is available. peanuts are the traditional I am sure because in the olden days most farmers all grew them. They were a strong nitrogen "fixator?", they fertilized the ground between crops. So farmers wives generally had cheap and easy access.

Its easy, remember a really large buttered pot. Remember to beat the foam down after you add the soda till it stays in a more liquid state. You can do it while its still foaming but you get really porous candy....LOL

Foam I dig that idea of cayenne in it...ugh! See? Now I'll end up making peanut brittle! I know it!

Its easy to do and I keep all that stuff in my pantry. I usually get big cans of nuts and then cryo seal 'em in smaller bags and I have some year round. The raw nuts take a bit more thinking....LOL

Now Judy could eat that whole pan in a heartbeat.
that has to be her favorite sweet thing to eat. Al

Well you should make Judy some! The holidays are approaching and no sense waiting till the last minute to have to worry about honey-do points.

I'm going out on a limb, but all my cookbooks have peanut brittle calling for plain roasted peanuts. I'm guessing if you lack raw, just get plain peanuts that are roasted? IE; not flavoured or candy coated. A quick rinse in water would get rid of most salt they got I think..

You can use any nut, its just peanuts are cheapest. You are adding salt anyway, salt and pepper compliment anything sweet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky