1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Peanut Brittle ~ Foamheart

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by foamheart, Sep 22, 2018.

1. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

LOL.. let me 'splain Lucy.

The word I used was, monosaccharides which is shown as misspelled. So I clicked auto-correct and it became saccharomyces, which BTW shows as misspelled also. No more auto-corrects for me....LOL So my auto correct made it even worse, and my lazy mind just accepted that the computer was not capable of mistakes in simple spelling corrections. I was referring to the major sugar divisions of sucrose and fructose, which are considered to be the simplest of sugars.

Just when you think you can trust them......... you get "Do you want to play a game?"

2. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I need to get a sugar thermometer, supplies, and a pot and try this.

I don't eat much candy, but my wife would LOVE this!
    I NEED to try this!

Thanks for the 'splain'n'
    Hopefully I can make it edible, and not Tooth breaking hard. (or in my case, tooth pulling sticky!)

3. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is a yummy desert foam, Thx for posting it. One of my favorites... Unfortunately I need to loose a few pounds before I go and make this one..... Definite like....

4. foamheart

Really all you need to start is a candy thermometer. Its to candy what a remote thermometer is to smoking. I was lucky enough to have a Mom that used both the old ways as well as the thermometer. I use the thermometer, but visual and olfactory senses also help from having seen the old ways from Mom and Aunts and Granny's.

If you buy one, don't get one of those really cheap round tubes with the paper chart inside. They break pretty easily and mercury is not good to eat. I bet they don't use mercury anymore, do they? LOL

5. foamheart

You know when you heat the sugar to hard crack stage it cooks out all the calories. LOL I understand and there is Halloween just around the corner (CANDY!), then the holidays come on with pies cakes desserts and CANDIES! LOL Its also the butchering time as well as hunting season. Then its Mardi Gras King cakes, pralines and candies! You better get that diet on fast or you'll have to wait for Lent.

6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Grand-mom use to make a brittle that she put black walnuts in that was my favorite.

Warren

7. tumaldi

tumaldi Newbie

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a good day.
    I want to get into the world of cooking and I would like to start learning how to make desserts like some brownies. I have done some research about cookbooks and I found this book in this link https://inside7boxes.com/home-made-brownie/ Does anyone know about it? Any suggestions? 7cdd26e3-c823-4fe6-9198-435f61071099.jpg

8. foamheart

If you want to tell about cooking, I highly suggest a starter cookbook, Betty Crocker, Better Homes and Gardens are probably IMHO the to oldest and most rounded starters. I got the Betty Crocker as a graduation present and thought someone was playing a joke. It's completely worn out. At Christmas a few years back we were all laughing about it. Seems all the graduating boys in the church got the cookbook. LOL Amyway my Mom said she learned from the Good Housekeeping. Pick one and most of your very basics will be there. Its the same way your Mom learned and her Mom. They'll be basic but they will also be good recipes because after so many generations they have got to me.

You can also use your puter. Look up the joy of baking, its a cook book series, but it will be mostly desserts.

You can also search sites like here in the dessert section. BTW Mrs. Bear does some pretty good stuff so look at Bear's lists.

I do recommend the Betty Crocker, I am partial to it cause its where I learned.

Also, I highly suggest that when you make something that tickles your fancy you find a way to save it. I used 3x5 recipe cards. There are 8x5's, full page, but find one place to keep 'em safe. I now use a software program called Cook'n. That what I can build my own cook book, add pictures and/or videos, and massage them as needed and I can still print them any size I want any time I want. Just a thought.

9. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I also read a study by the Mayo(naise) clinic that if you eat a sugar product very fast, the effective calories are reduced, as the initial digestive juices (saliva) don't have time to convert the complex sugars into digestible simple sugars.

So I am going with that!

foamheart likes this.