Pasty Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

78camaro

Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Rolla, Mo
Hello. I've been having problems with the outcome of my baby back ribs and I'm hoping I can get some advice. I use Jeff's Rub and follow his instructions to cover them with enough where you can't see the ribs. I use an offset smoker and cook the ribs uncovered at a temp between 225-250. It usually takes about six hours for the ribs to get the way I like them. The trouble I'm having is that the rub stays pasty throughout the cook, to the point where I've had to wipe it all off the ribs with paper towels so that everyone isn't getting a mouth full of wet pasty rub. I don't feel like I'm putting on too much but maybe I am. I've thought about cranking up the temp near the end to help get a bark.Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Are you using a "water pan" with liquid in it... That will keep the seasonings moist and sometimes form a paste...
Second, are the therms calibrated...
Third..... That could be the way Jeff and his dinner guests like ribs.... you could adjust stuff to your personal preference... I guess that's what you are looking for... right...

Me... I don't care for a thick bark on ribs.... a very thin, able to bite through bark with a moist interior is what I shoot for... and lots of flavor, which ribs usually have... I also use a very thin layer of seasonings... and brine the ribs first to keep moisture in them during the cook.. final cook temp, for the last hour or so is 275-300.... what ever the smoker goes to, or throw them on the BBQ gas grill...

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. No I don't use a water pan and I use a Maverick wireless grill thermometer so I'm confident the temps are ok. I guess I've always been one who likes more of a meat taste instead of an over powering sauce or rub flavor so I'm guessing I just need to cut back on the rub. A rub to me is good unless when you bite into something you feel like you just swallowed a tablespoon of it.

My ribs usually have that pasty texture when I unwrap them. The final step I use when doing ribs is to put them over direct heat (grill) for the last 30 to 60 minutes. That dries up the gunk and gives the ribs a nice texture.

I use just a sprinkle of rub on ribs....ya know like you were salting something to eat.   Ribs aren't like a Butt or Brisket where a good coating of rub works wonders.  Less is more on ribs.  

Not sure what jeffs method is but you aren't putting any oil or mustard on the ribs first are you?

Scott

I use just a sprinkle of rub on ribs....ya know like you were salting something to eat.   Ribs aren't like a Butt or Brisket where a good coating of rub works wonders.  Less is more on ribs.  

Not sure what jeffs method is but you aren't putting any oil or mustard on the ribs first are you?

Scott
Scott,

Yeah I typically put mustard on the ribs per his directions. With it being a brown sugar base and the ribs typically moist/wet the rub should stick pretty well without the mustard wouldn't ya think? I will go without the mustard and less rub next time and see how it works out.

No mustard......don't know where this started really.  Put the rub on and wrap with saran tightly. The meat will sweat and the rub will form a sort of wet paste but it wont be too thick like you are experiencing now.  Try it and see what you think. 

If needed a little olive oil......a tiny bit will give the rub something to adhere to but I don't think its necessary

Scott

You are using too much Rub. It is not necessary to use mustard but if you do, only use enough to make the ribs shine. One tablespoon is more than enough for both sides of a rack. Below is a pic that is representative of how much rub to use. The rub is uniform but in no way thick...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky