• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pastrami

big lew bbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 9, 2012
Picked up a 4.5 lbs already brined Brisket Flat. Spiced it up and set in the fridge for a relaxing night in the rub.

This is a Pastrami Spice Rub I cam up with a while ago and have never used anything else. Why change perfection? Haha

I trimmed a good amount of fat from this guy, I know fat = Flavor, but I Like my pastrami Lean!

Took a little Dijon spread on a thin layer, for the rub to stick too.

All Spiced up and in the container to go into the fridge overnight.

After a night in the fridge and ready for the smoker!

More Q-View to follow.

big lew bbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 9, 2012
Here is a pic of the pastrami @ the 4 hour mark. I used Hickory, Cherry and Maple. IT is @ 145*, I am removing it and going to steam it to a IT of 190*.

I like the look and color.

Time for a steam bath. I added about a cup of hot water to the bottom of this aluminum pan I had.

Double foiled the top and stuck into the oven @ 250*, Until the IT reaches 190*

I will post the finish sliced pastrami.

Last edited:

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Looks good so far.

Care to share the rub recipe?

big lew bbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 9, 2012
C farmer,

Thanks I hope it taste as good as it looks.  The IT is @ 183* as of right now. So I will be enjoying this Pastrami in a matter of minutes!

I can share with you what is in the rub:

Paprika

Cumin

Corriander

Black Pepper

White Pepper

Mustard powder

Garlic Powder

Onion Powder

Sugar

Cayenne

Chili Powder

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Looks like something I would eat?

Good luck and good smoking.

superdave

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 13, 2007
When I do my pastrami by way of a store bought corned beef, I take the seasoning packet that comes in the brisket package, add some whole peppercorns and grind it in my coffee grinder.  That powder becomes my base rub.  Then I add some of my other smoke rubs as a second flavor profile layer.

big lew bbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 9, 2012
That sounds good! I will have to give that a try!

I usually have to soak the store bought corned beef for hours before it desalinates enough where it does not  taste like a salt block!

dougmays

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Nov 18, 2010
That looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the rub

humdinger

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 27, 2012
Good looking 'strami Lew. I always just smoke them straight to the finish temp. Do you still taste the smoke even after it's been steamed?

big lew bbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 9, 2012
Good looking 'strami Lew. I always just smoke them straight to the finish temp. Do you still taste the smoke even after it's been steamed?
Yes, you do It smoked for a good 4 hrs, that is plenty of time for the meat to absorb that smoky Goodness!  Anything over the 4 hr Mark your just "cooking" the meat in the smoker, I prefer to Steam the meat to temperature, because I feel it adds moisture to final cook time, and partly because I trim all the visible fat off my brisket flats, where is you would usually leave this on because fat=flavor and it helps keep the meat moist during and after smoking/cooking.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 7, 2012
Just put some seasoned brisket in for a 4 day cure. That sure looks good

billhilla

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 9, 2012
I seasoned up the brisket last night and I am going to smoke the meat for 4 hours on Saturday morning.  I then plan to remove it and steam it to 190 IT, how long did that take in you oven to get to 190 IT ?

wade

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 12, 2013
Looks good Lew. What proportions do you use in your rub?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.