Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big lew bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
SE Michigan
Picked up a 4.5 lbs already brined Brisket Flat. Spiced it up and set in the fridge for a relaxing night in the rub.

This is a Pastrami Spice Rub I cam up with a while ago and have never used anything else. Why change perfection? Haha

I trimmed a good amount of fat from this guy, I know fat = Flavor, but I Like my pastrami Lean!

Took a little Dijon spread on a thin layer, for the rub to stick too.

All Spiced up and in the container to go into the fridge overnight.

After a night in the fridge and ready for the smoker!

More Q-View to follow.

Here is a pic of the pastrami @ the 4 hour mark. I used Hickory, Cherry and Maple. IT is @ 145*, I am removing it and going to steam it to a IT of 190*.

I like the look and color.

Time for a steam bath. I added about a cup of hot water to the bottom of this aluminum pan I had.

Double foiled the top and stuck into the oven @ 250*, Until the IT reaches 190*

I will post the finish sliced pastrami.

Last edited:
Looks good so far.

Care to share the rub recipe?

C farmer,

Thanks I hope it taste as good as it looks.  The IT is @ 183* as of right now. So I will be enjoying this Pastrami in a matter of minutes!

I can share with you what is in the rub:

Paprika

Cumin

Corriander

Black Pepper

White Pepper

Mustard powder

Garlic Powder

Onion Powder

Sugar

Cayenne

Chili Powder

When I do my pastrami by way of a store bought corned beef, I take the seasoning packet that comes in the brisket package, add some whole peppercorns and grind it in my coffee grinder.  That powder becomes my base rub.  Then I add some of my other smoke rubs as a second flavor profile layer.

That sounds good! I will have to give that a try!

I usually have to soak the store bought corned beef for hours before it desalinates enough where it does not  taste like a salt block!

Good looking 'strami Lew. I always just smoke them straight to the finish temp. Do you still taste the smoke even after it's been steamed?

Good looking 'strami Lew. I always just smoke them straight to the finish temp. Do you still taste the smoke even after it's been steamed?
Yes, you do It smoked for a good 4 hrs, that is plenty of time for the meat to absorb that smoky Goodness!  Anything over the 4 hr Mark your just "cooking" the meat in the smoker, I prefer to Steam the meat to temperature, because I feel it adds moisture to final cook time, and partly because I trim all the visible fat off my brisket flats, where is you would usually leave this on because fat=flavor and it helps keep the meat moist during and after smoking/cooking.

I seasoned up the brisket last night and I am going to smoke the meat for 4 hours on Saturday morning.  I then plan to remove it and steam it to 190 IT, how long did that take in you oven to get to 190 IT ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky