Pastrami.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by ak1, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Well, my son decided it would be nice if I made some pastrami for him to take for lunch next week.

So, a few days ago I picked up 2  2.6lb hunks of corned beef brisket.

All seasoned up & ready for the smoker.

[​IMG]

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I can't wait to pick up a bunch next week when they go on sale. 

3. ak1

Five and a half hours later, just before going into the fridge to rest overnight.

[​IMG]

4. ak1

I put them on the smoker around 4pm, and pulled around 9:45 pm. At that point they were at 184 degrees. They're all foiled up and resting in the fridge to be sliced tomorrow.

More pics to come tomorrow!

5. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]

6. ak1

Me too! I can't wait to find out how they turned out!

7. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks good AK1

8. ak1

Thanks!  I'll admit we did take a few slices off the end before it went in the fridge. Colour is good, it's got that nice pastrami red colour. Flavour seems good, just a hint of spice from the black pepper in the rub. Son likes it. Hopefully it'll be just as tasty or better once it's sliced up.

9. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Looks good nice job[​IMG]

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks good AK, boy those got done real quick. Most of the pastrami's I have smoked took at least 8 or 9 hours, some as long as 14. Since they went so quick I bet there going to be real tender.

11. ak1

I was surprised they went that quick. When I stuck the probe in after 4 hrs the meat was at 142 internal, and I thought... oh well, this may take a while. When I went back about an hr later it was 163, so I left and came back to check around 45 mins, and they were at 184. I thought, that's good enough for me!!

I think because they were 2 small pieces, it may have contributed to the quick smoking time.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the one piece all sliced up;

[​IMG]

12. smoker21

smoker21 Meat Mopper

Looks GREAT!!!

I just put 2, 3-5 & 4 pound store bought corned beefs on the smoker @ 230 degrees.  I topped them with fresh ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder & brown sugar.  I hope 7 hours will be enough.

Heck after seeing yours I'm hungry now)

JD

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  13. Looks great AK. Whatcha rub em with?

14. ak1

Hi,

I left the pickling spice that the briskets came in and just rubbed on a bunch of ground black pepper.

15. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's exactly how I like em too. I always remember the pastrami I got as a kid always had pepper on the edge. Yours look fantastic!

16. ak1

Thanks, I was planning to mix some ground coriander with the pepper, but didn't have any. Oh well! Next time.

17. You didn't have any pepper?

18. [​IMG]Wow that looks great! Okay, another item for my "to smoke list"! [​IMG]

19. herkysprings

herkysprings Smoking Fanatic

Did you guys soak your store bought corned beefs? if so how long? I have a few, but I forgot how long I soaked them for last time.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  20. coffee_junkie

coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I soaked mine for about 8 hours and it was still slightly too salty for my liking, not bad though and not complaining, but next time I was going to shoot for 12 hours with at least 2 water changes.