Pastrami Success Finally After 2 Years!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
After numerous failed attempts, I finally got it right, mostly thanks to SmokinAl SmokinAl 's dry curing recipe. So here it is, I actually did it back in January but haven't had a chance to post til now. Sadly I only have 2 pictures, my bad, lack of confidence from the failed attempts the last 2 years.

I started with a 6.2lb Brisket Flat after trimming. I used SmokinAl SmokinAl 's dry cure method for 11 days, flipping daily in the fridge. Then after the 11th day, I rinsed it and applied the dry Rub and bagged it for 2 more days in the fridge.
Then smoked on the MES 40 Gen 1 at 250 until the IT was 175-180. No wrapping as I usually do with Briskets. After resting for an hour, the Mrs. sliced it very thin and we put in the fridge overnight. The next night we steamed our portions and had some delicious sammies on Rye with spicy mustard and Pickles. It was the best one yet.
I find little mistakes to correct each time, and this time only 1 mistake from the last time, so I think I have it down now.
Here it is just after resting while the first hunk is being sliced very thin.
IMG_3114.jpg
All sliced up waiting to be steamed the next night.
IMG_3113.jpg
Again sorry there were no more pictures. Thanks for stopping by.

That is some mighty fine looking pastrami there Mike!!
Al
Thanks Al, I owe it all to you. This last time while mixing the cure I realized I haven't been using enough of the Pickling Spice previously, and I wasn't letting it sit in the fridge with the Dry Rub for the extra 2 days after the curing. Thanks for the like, very appreciated.

Heck yeah Mike......nailed it!
Thanks Jake, we love Pastrami, can't get it here in Ga, only the Round one, not the Flat. Being from NJ originally, we find the Round one offensive, lol.

Nice job on that! Looks really good and bet it feels really good to have nailed it.

Ryan

Have Mercy! I'll take a couple of those sammichs exactly the way you described them!
Jim

Mike looks like you nailed that . Those slices look fantastic . I've done Al's method with the SV finish . It's a good one . I'll have to try the steaming .
I was gonna suggest eye of round ,,, but I changed my mind . Lol .

I only have 2 pictures
Too bad you don't know a Photographer .

Reactions: MJB05615
Nice job on that! Looks really good and bet it feels really good to have nailed it.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, yes it was most gratifying to have nailed it. I've tried this and other methods over the years, and nothing seemed to work this well. One time I thought I had it, then used way too much Maple Pellets in the Smoker, and it was overpowered Maple flavor, not what you'd expect. Thanks for the like Ryan, very appreciated.

Mike looks like you nailed that . Those slices look fantastic . I've done Al's method with the SV finish . It's a good one . I'll have to try the steaming .
I was gonna suggest eye of round ,,, but I changed my mind . Lol .

Too bad you don't know a Photographer .
Lol. Thanks Rich, I'd try other cuts, but the Mrs. only like authentic, so that's what we go with. And I do know a Photographer, very, very well, lol.

Have Mercy! I'll take a couple of those sammichs exactly the way you described them!
Jim
I'd offer you some, but there were no leftovers, lol. Next time I'll definitely have more pics from start to finish. Got 2 packers in the freezer just screaming to be used. I take the point to smoke as usual, and make the Flat into Pastrami.

Reactions: JLeonard
That looks outstanding Mike!! Congrats on finally getting it dialed in. I can only imagine how good it felt taking that first bite...the bite of success!! Well done sir.

Robert

That looks outstanding Mike!! Congrats on finally getting it dialed in. I can only imagine how good it felt taking that first bite...the bite of success!! Well done sir.

Robert
Thanks Robert. That is a good feeling, it helps offset the terrible feelings all of the other times when things didn't work out so well, and I got the "look" from the Mrs. I'm sure most of us know what the "look" is, lol. But it really did feel like an accomplishment. Now if I can duplicate this the next time, it'll feel like a bigger accomplishment. Thanks for the like, very appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky