PASTRAMI FROM SCRATCH ON THE LANG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks incredible!
drool.gif

I have a serious pastrami problem.

When I started this hobby - I only wanted ribs and brisket basically. Now ive done so much its hard to keep track of - meatloaf was the one that I never thought Id do - and it was amazing!

When I started this hobby - I only wanted ribs and brisket basically. Now ive done so much its hard to keep track of - meatloaf was the one that I never thought Id do - and it was amazing!
Hey Man the sky is the limit.

If you cook it you can smoke it.

Or you can even cold smoke stuff.

One guy cold smoked ice cubes to put in his Scotch!

I have to try that!

Al

SmokinAl,

That was a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I love the idea of the fat drip basting the brisket below. We just tried a pastrami for the first time and it came out good but that was before we learned about the curing calculator. We have a lot to learn but we look forward to the next one.

Michael and Lori
Thank you guys!

I think your pastrami looks pretty darn good!

Looking forward to seeing what you do next time out!

Al

Looks great. Just curious, is the French onion soup for flavor or would the flat have dried out without it?

Looks great. Just curious, is the French onion soup for flavor or would the flat have dried out without it?
A little of both, it does add some flavor & the steam helps keep the meat moist.

Al

I've done 3 corned beef briskets in my smoker in the last few months.  They were really good, especially with homemade crusty bread - we aren't fond of rye bread. But sauerkraut, swiss and mustard for me and swiss and mayo for sweetie we were quite content.

With my 17 other hobbies I haven't gotten into curing much but plan to.  I have two pieces of meat curing for dried beef per Bear's recipe. 

But with St Patrick's day coming up I'm hoping for a sale on corned beef and/or brisket.  I still have room in my freezer after all.

I cook to 190 for mine.  Slices nicely and is very tender. For a 5lb roast I think it was about 7-8 hrs at 225 with red oak or hickory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjdcorona  

There are so many more things I want to try. I did do some tomatoes in the smoker when I had some meat in there also.  Was really good in a pasta dish.  Traeger's web site lists making them into Bloody Marys.  I wonder how that would go with pastrami.

YOZIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Awesome. 

What temp did you run to on the final cook?

Looks like Katz's deli in NYC...

BOOM!

Thanks

DDR

The final IT was about 202. I just kept checking it until it was probe tender & on this one it took until 202.

Al

Al - just curious at what temp did you remove the brisket and does the can of soup just sit open in the pan. It's my first crack at this just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks...

Glenn

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky