Pastrami from scratch, lots of Q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
[h1]Al , will you share the brine recipe you used ?[/h1]

I posted it up near the beginning of the post. Here it is again. [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  I used 1 gal water, 3 level Tbls cure#1, 1/3 cu kosher salt, 1/3 cu brown sugar, 1/3 cu pickling spices, 3 bay leaves, & 1 Tbls granulated garlic.[/color]

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a killer job there Al. I love me some  pastrami and I make my own also. I have found the real secret to pastrami and believe me it works. I made som and went to New York City and ate some of mine an then matched it against Katz's Deli, Eisenburg's Deli, and Carnegie Deli. The folks said it ws either better or as good. 

OK Mark, Are you going to leave us all hanging or do we get to know what the secret to pastrami is too?

OK Al you done hit my button now....Pastrami is my most favorite thing. I have had at least 5 Pastrami sandwiches since I have been in Ca. the last 2 weeks. I have not made any in about a year but will when I get back home...Man you have done a GREAT job..I can taste it now...

I posted it up near the beginning of the post. Here it is again. [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  I used 1 gal water, 3 level Tbls cure#1, 1/3 cu kosher salt, 1/3 cu brown sugar, 1/3 cu pickling spices, 3 bay leaves, & 1 Tbls granulated garlic.[/color]
You did 3 tablespoons of cure on the 15 pounds?   did you mean 3 teaspoons? Just making sure.

Last edited:
You did 3 tablespoons of cure on the 15 pounds?   did you mean 3 teaspoons? Just making sure.

Yes I used 3 Tablespoons, when you use a liquid brine the amount of cure is related to the amount of water, not the amount of meat to be put in the water. Pops recipe calls for 1 heaping tablespoon per gallon of water. The cure#1 package calls for no more than 5 tablespoons per gallon of water. I use 3 level tablespoons per gallon of water.

Yes I used 3 Tablespoons, when you use a liquid brine the amount of cure is related to the amount of water, not the amount of meat to be put in the water. Pops recipe calls for 1 heaping tablespoon per gallon of water. The cure#1 package calls for no more than 5 tablespoons per gallon of water. I use 3 level tablespoons per gallon of water.

Okay,,,I learned something I didn't know. Thanks. I will have to adjust my brine this morning. I only put 1/2 of that in. Thanks again AL. I appreciate your knowledgeable help.

That looks great! Thanks for the informative post! Your posts are always informative and I have learned a lot from you! I am definitely adding this to my smoking "bucket list". I will have to try this one in the very near future.

Last edited:
[h2]Al..one more question..please :   What would be the longest amount of time reccomended for the meat to be in the brine solution ? I know you did like 10 days but would a couple more days longer be ok...Im just looking at my work schedule and planning ahead some.[/h2]

Great job on the Strami AL, I still haven't brined my own.

Still buying the corned points at Wally World, but I hope to give it a try real soon.

Thanks for sharing 
beercheer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky