Pastrami from scratch, lots of Q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
drool.gif
Al,

once again you did a great job!!! a great step by step and the end result looks outstanding! the only thing i might add is with mine, just before tossing into a sandwich i steam it. its my east coast upbringing....

Tom

drool.gif
Al,

once again you did a great job!!! a great step by step and the end result looks outstanding! the only thing i might add is with mine, just before tossing into a sandwich i steam it. its my east coast upbringing....

Tom

Yep, that's the way I used to get them at the deli when I was a kid. I guess I'm too lazy now. I just eat it cold, or sliced hot right out of the smoker.

Al, does this taste different than when someone makes pastrami from store bought corned beef? I have a flat and a point in the brine now. This is the tenth day. I was thinking I would have to boil or steam the point before making pastrami with it. My wife is looking for the taste of pastrami that she buys at the deli.

Al, does this taste different than when someone makes pastrami from store bought corned beef? I have a flat and a point in the brine now. This is the tenth day. I was thinking I would have to boil or steam the point before making pastrami with it. My wife is looking for the taste of pastrami that she buys at the deli.

She will like it better than the deli. Some guys smoke it then steam it before serving.

Last edited:
Al grate job  I have I have a smw to  I have 3questions

1ST   looks like no warter in your bowl.

2nd  Is your smw an 22.5 inch.

3rd did put just a little bit of hot coals on top.

Al grate job  I have I have a smw to  I have 3questions

1ST   looks like no warter in your bowl. It's filled with sand & covered in foil.

2nd  Is your smw an 22.5 inch. Yes

3rd did put just a little bit of hot coals on top. Yes about 8-10.

Very nice looking pastrami sammie there Al... never got on the pastrami train yet but if any thread did anything to get me going it would be this one. Fine step by step as has come to be expected in your posts! and the finished product looks awesome. thanks for sharing Al, deserves a buncha these...Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks erain, & you other guys for the kind remarks. It is greatly appreciated!

Wow!  I've never considered pastrami.  Thanks for the step by step and all the info/pics.  I'll certainly have to try it.  I'm confused as to "Cure#1" though.  I don't know anything about "cures" etc so any info would be appreciated.  Thanks again.

Doczod,

found this under an older thread (cure #1) thought it might help you. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/102631/insta-cure-1

Tom

•                     
  • FIXME: needs styling from "post-user-info"
  • Beer-B-Q
  • RIP Paul. You will be deeply missed.
  • badge_otbsmember.v1305918900.png
  •  
  • 10,102 Posts. Joined 5/2007

Bob, here is where I get my Cure #1  They call it Pink Sure Cure but it is just the name they use, it is still insta cure #1.

Here is links to 3 different size packages depending on how much you want to order.

http://www.midwesternresearch.com/INDEX.htm

1oz: $0.75 

4oz: $0.99 

5# : $7.45

The 5# package is the best deal if you plan on doing a  lot of curing..  Other wise just buy a few of the 4oz ones...

4560490000PINK SURE CURE-----FOR 25 LBS OF MEAT 
Price In Stock?  Shopping Cart 
0.75 YES    
Compares to other pink "basic" cures.
For use with jerky, summer sausage, snacksticks, and other smoked products.

Use 1 pkg per 25 lbs. of meat.

Ing: Salt, sodium nitrite 6.25%, FD & C Red #3 .00099% and not more than 2% sodium silico aluminate added as an anticaking agent. 

4560490002PINK SURE CURE-----FOR 100 LBS OF MEAT 
0.99 CALL FOR AVAILIBILITY    

Use 1 pkg per 100 lbs. of meat.

Ing: Salt, sodium nitrite 6.25%, FD & C Red #3 .00099% and not more than 2% sodium silico aluminate added as an anticaking agent. 

4560490009PINK SURE CURE-----50 LB BOX 
64.50 YES    

Use 4 oz. per 100 lbs. of meat.

4560490009-5PINK SURE CURE-----5 LB PKG 
7.45 YES    

Use 4 oz. per 100 lbs. of meat.

Paul
Grand Cafe SS  Gas | 1200w MES 40" |
AMNPS X 1 $ AMNS X 3 |
Northern #12 Electric Grinder | Weston 20# Meat Mixer | Grizzly 5# SS Stuffer |
Fleetwood M220S Deli Slicer |FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer |
Maverick ET-72 & ET-901| Red Thermapen |
OTBS #183 | NRA Member | KCBS Member |
www.Beer-B-Q-Spices.com

Al thanx for getting back to me , I got just two more question, you got me thinking  why sand and no water

,I have always used water in my smoker do you find that you better results and do you let charcoal get gray

or befor closing up the smoker.

Al thanx for getting back to me , I got just two more question, you got me thinking  why sand and no water

,I have always used water in my smoker do you find that you better results and do you let charcoal get gray

or befor closing up the smoker.

Sand does the same thing as water, acting as a heat sink, and it's much easier to cleanup with. I use the minnion method and the 8-10 briquettes are grey when I put them on the unlit coals. Then I close it up & it will burn for hours.

Oregon Smoker,

Thanks so much.  Can't wait to get started.  I appreciate the input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky