Pastrami from scratch, lots of Q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
drool.gif

Smokin Al, that is a great lookin piece of Pastrammi. Goin to keep my eyes open for a similar piece, but hopefully at a sale price, here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

Going to follow your receipe exactly, it looks great. Only exception, I will be using my Cookshack Smoker instead of charcoal. I love charcoal too, but with snow all over the place, its more convenient to set the electric and forget it. I love the idea of saving the fat layer and using it to keep the brisket under it more moist.

edmartin

Smokin Al, that is a great lookin piece of Pastrammi. Goin to keep my eyes open for a similar piece, but hopefully at a sale price, here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

Going to follow your receipe exactly, it looks great. Only exception, I will be using my Cookshack Smoker instead of charcoal. I love charcoal too, but with snow all over the place, its more convenient to set the electric and forget it. I love the idea of saving the fat layer and using it to keep the brisket under it more moist.

edmartin

Thanks Ed! Pastrami is fun to make & it sure beats the stuff you get in the store.

Would you do us a favor & update your profile info to include your location, then head over to roll call & introduce yourself so we can all give you a SMF welcome. Thanks.

a36c1580_ScannedImage.jpg

Yes I used 3 Tablespoons, when you use a liquid brine the amount of cure is related to the amount of water, not the amount of meat to be put in the water. Pops recipe calls for 1 heaping tablespoon per gallon of water. The cure#1 package calls for no more than 5 tablespoons per gallon of water. I use 3 level tablespoons per gallon of water.

On the cure I use it calls for 24 lbs. of cure per 100 gallons of water for a brine cure.  24 lbs. x 16 oz = 384 oz. ÷ 100 = 3.84 oz.  1 heaping tablespoon is roughly equal to 1 ounce of cure, so 5 level tablespoons would be maximum amount; 3 tablespoons would be right on and at a safe level!

And, great job on the pastrami, Al!

AL

great tutorial can't wait to try this myself. one question what kind of wood did you use?? I'm thinking I might try alder or cherry.

Thanks

Johnn9

Looks awesome! Al where did you get the Cure #1? I have been looking for some.

Hey Al Thanks again Made this the other day came out great. My smoker is not up to WSM standards (lol) so I smoked it for about 8 hours, used alder, hickory and cherry  then put it in the oven at 240 for about 4 hours steaming in beer till l the meat hit 205. Great taste and texture.

Thanks Al!

After getting bit by the Pastrami bug this past week I did a quick Pastrami and just sliced it up today.  It was so damn good I just have to do it the long way.  I happen to have a really nice flat from a steer we butchered last summer in the freezer so out it came and defrosting.  I needed some direction on the brining process.  Im gonna give your recipe a try.

As soon as I get back from my BBQ restraunt visit in Southern Illinois!

Big Al,

Great post man. I just got a lesson for sure.

I am a BIG Pastrami (and corned beef) guy. I love the stuff and grew up with some great Jewish delis that had killer Pastrami. But the always cooked them in ovens.

This looks GREAT!!!

And corn beef tips? Also I really dont like yellow mustard, can you taste this at in the finished product?

Again well done and looks TASTY!

BrentCzech

Mustard goes away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky