Packaged ground pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Bullhead City, AZ
Still new to making sausage & don't have a grinder or stuffer yet:(
What I do have is a package of ground sausage & all the seasoning. My question is the ground sausage was frozen & Monday I put it in the fridge to make & well one thing leads to another & here it is a week later still sitting there:( I was going to throw it out but I thought I'd ask you sausage makers first!!

I would also suggest the smell test- but if there is any doubt toss it out. The food poisening pain is not worth it 

Use your sniffer if it dosent smell right then pitch it. as mentioned not worth a case of the food poisinoing.

Yup not worth getting sick. Pork goes gassy (bad) fast. You can tell as soon as you open the package.

icon_cool.gif

Well Terry this reminds me of an old saying that I saw here. "It's not the red/pink meat thats bad for you it's the green fuzzy meat thats bad for you".

I know this is an old post and I hope to god you dont still have that meat lol...buuuut....I just wanted to add that ANY food left unfrozen or above 41 degrees for more than 4 hours it starts to go bad...it grows bacteria really fast after those 4 hours without the proper temperature. I'm in the culinary business and I have my Servsafe certification and we learned all about that stuff.

I know this is an old post and I hope to god you dont still have that meat lol...buuuut....I just wanted to add that ANY food left unfrozen or above 41 degrees for more than 4 hours it starts to go bad...it grows bacteria really fast after those 4 hours without the proper temperature. I'm in the culinary business and I have my Servsafe certification and we learned all about that stuff.

Tell me that when i have a gutted deer hanging overnight.

Effing FDA , USDA  Is so freaking wanting everyone to do what THEY WANT US TO DO.

Last edited:
You can leave your deer hanging overnight just fine as long as the temp is 30° to 40° degrees; but don't leave it all night if it's 50° or more - you'll have spoiled venison.  I've smelled a lot of it in the namesake of 'aging'.
Tell me that when i have a gutted deer hanging overnight.

Effing FDA , USDA  Is so freaking wanting everyone to do what THEY WANT US TO DO.

Your servsafe credentialing is a valuable knowledge base that can help us keep members safe in their practices!  Please jump in at any opportunity to help serve!  Thank you for your experience!

Unless your fridge quit working or the door was lefto open it should be fine. You did not mention how many lbs and how fast you would be eatin it. I just did 3 lbs of breakfast sausage and i did the same thing. Left it in fridge for 8 to 9 days. My fridge holds steady at around 37 to 40. I will freeze half of it and the other half will go pretty fast.

Karl

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky