Oysters.. Smoked... 11-27-15

Discussion in 'Fish' started by daveomak, Nov 27, 2015.

1. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bride said we needed oysters for appetizers along with the Kippered Salmon..... OK.....

Put them in the "fish" dry brine for 3 days.... salt, sugar, cure #1 and spices.... Rinsed and laid on Todd's AMAZING MATZ with absorbent toweling under... then sprinkled more seasonings... Now they are laying on a sheet pan in front of a fan to dry the surface.. still on the MATZ and toweling...
    Alder pellets are drying in the Totem Smoker... Soon the oysters will be kissed with smoke from Todd's Alder pellets using the AMNPS smoke generator...

.. ..

2. Looking good Dave  I love Oysters,  Can't wait to see the final results

Gary

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Standing by for the finale! What was the salt to sugar ratio you used? Cure #1 at 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds?

4. daveomak

Coming soon to a thread near you.....

5. daveomak

50:50... wt. / wt. on the salt sugar... and 150 ish Ppm nitrite.... [... 1 tsp. per 5#'s.... 1.1 grams per 5#'s.... ]

6. daveomak

Well, they sagged a bit and were smoked into the weave of the Q-Matz.... Not a problem.... they released fairly easily by pulling them off slowly, like you would a band aid strip on someone you didn't like very much... Todd's Matz are worth it...

They have a good flavor, and tomorrow when we have them, they will be great with some sort of sauce.... melted butter and garlic would be my guess.......

.. ..

Dave

7. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've only had canned smoked oysters, and I love those, so I'd be that these were amazing!

8. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes please, I'll take mine with hot sauce and a crispy piece of bread!

Nice smoke Dave, POINTS!

9. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm a bit late Dave.  They look awesome. Haven't met an oyster I wouldn't eat.  Can you explain further the "dry fish brine"?  bit more detail would be helpful.  Thanks! 

[​IMG]

Brian 

10. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Living in oysterland I love oysters........ I actually scared a date once from eatting so many!

Fried, grilled, BBQ'd, stewed, half shell, with spinach, with bread crumbs, with stinky cheese! BUT..... I never had 'em smoked or canned.

I bet if Dave made 'em, they are good though.

11. daveomak

It's the dry rub/brine I use for fish smoking.... 50:50 salt/sugar by weight... plus dry spices... then I add ~1.3 grams of cure #1 for every 17-18 grams of the salt sugar mix.... mix in a zip bag.... That mixture gets sprinkled on fish, oysters etc... at a rate of ~18 rams per pound... the results are 2% sugar, 2% salt 170-180 Ppm nitrite... fish is allowed 200 ppm nitrite when dry rubbed/brined...
    I have been using the salt, sugar and spices mix forever... recently added the cure #1 and can't tell the difference in the taste in the fish... the oysters taste the same to me also... Imagine that.... since joining the forum, I add cure #1 to darn near everything I smoke.. I find the mix really makes it easy to sprinkle on fish or what ever... easy, safe, especially since the grandkids eat anything grandpa smokes... at least 1 bite anyway....

bdskelly likes this.
  12. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

DO, Those oysters look awesome !!!!

13. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Tasty lookin snack Dave ! Thumbs Up

14. Hey Dave the only thing you could do a little different, ----------- Is Send Me some !!!!       Nice job   [​IMG]

Gary

15. goliath

goliath Smoking Fanatic

I just ordered up 50 lbs for a friend and myself from Fanny Bay down on Vancouver Island .....
    will be smoking them in a few days, then eating, canning and eating some more.

GONNA BE AN OYSTER FEST  [​IMG]

Goliath

16. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's enough to make me rather jealous! Here in North Texas, oysters are a bit pricy!

17. Yep in East Texas too

Gary

18. daveomak

Pricey !!!! I guess..... $9.50 for a 16 ounce jar... 454 grams.... it had 332 grams of oysters in it after the draining of liquid.... after the salt / sugar curing for 3 days, there was about 225 grams of meat.... that's only about $20 / pound..... They will be good no matter what...

19. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Oysters are inexpensive and  plentiful in my part of Texas.

Oh wait... Maybe we are not talking about the same kind of oysters.

20. daveomak

My nephew in Colorado, gets me cases of breaded "mountain oysters" as you can't get them here... They are sooooooo good...