Oyster Po' Boy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
I used to travel to New Orleans for business but haven’t been back for a few years. I’ve been jonesing for the food. Tonight I thought I’d try my hand at a oyster po’boy. Turned out pretty good, the oysters and remoulade sauce was good but hoagie roll (store bought)was way off. Still stuffed myself all the same. IMG_4118.jpeg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That recipe works well, have made it several times. I've made it with the first rise in the fridge overnight, pull out, let warm to room temp for an hour, then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Never been, so is it close to New Orleans bread?

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , tried the King Arthur recipe again that you posted today. Worked pretty well, did notice that they call for 2 TBS of active or instant dried yeast. That's about x2 from what I'd normally use, so I used 9g (about 1 TBS) and it rose just fine. After looking around a bit, I'd like to try the recipe using vege shortening in place of the olive oil, as I remember that will keep the final product a bit softer overall. Smells like I remembered it! Will make some meatball subs with them tomorrow (making pizzas tonight) and will let you know how they tasted, if I remember.

3-9-24_sub-rolls.jpg

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , tried the King Arthur recipe again that you posted today. Worked pretty well, did notice that they call for 2 TBS of active or instant dried yeast. That's about x2 from what I'd normally use, so I used 9g (about 1 TBS) and it rose just fine. After looking around a bit, I'd like to try the recipe using vege shortening in place of the olive oil, as I remember that will keep the final product a bit softer overall. Smells like I remembered it! Will make some meatball subs with them tomorrow (making pizzas tonight) and will let you know how they tasted, if I remember.

View attachment 691050
Now that looks great. How thick are they? Will you dig some of the bread out of the center like a canoe before building tha sammich?

Now that looks great. How thick are they? Will you dig some of the bread out of the center like a canoe before building tha sammich?
They are just under 3" thick, my baguette/hoagie roll final shaping needs some work, I'm used to making bread, lol. For the meatballs I'll "canoe" them for sure to keep them from rolling off and letting the dog get them, she's on a special diet and can't handle most other foods (she eats anything, just never know what will happen the next day).

They are just under 3" thick, my baguette/hoagie roll final shaping needs some work, I'm used to making bread, lol. For the meatballs I'll "canoe" them for sure to keep them from rolling off and letting the dog get them, she's on a special diet and can't handle most other foods (she eats anything, just never know what will happen the next day).
I like my sammich bread thin and a bit crusty on the outside. Yours looks like a heck of a start.
Gotta get off my ars and make this, maybe tomorrow.

I like my sammich bread thin and a bit crusty on the outside. Yours looks like a heck of a start.
Gotta get off my ars and make this, maybe tomorrow.
Definitely a nice crust on the outside, seems "pillowy" on the inside (I had to check the internal temp to make sure it was done, was worried it wasn't done in the middle...tested at 208*F so it was done). It's definitely a moist dough. And if I had scored the tops like I normally do, they wouldn't have spread quite so much.

Edit: I also put a pan w/a couple of ice cubes in the oven to elevate the humidity. I think that helped them from getting too crispy on the outside (sorta like keeping the humidity just below the internal moisture content of a sausage you are drying so the outside won't harden up too quickly).

Last edited:
Definitely a nice crust on the outside, seems "pillowy" on the inside (I had to check the internal temp to make sure it was done, was worried it wasn't done in the middle...tested at 208*F so it was done). It's definitely a moist dough. And if I had scored the tops like I normally do, they wouldn't have spread quite so much.
Alrighty then. I’m on a mission tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky