Our Knives Post Them Here.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The knife at the top is The Chickenhawk, so named because it's perfect for cutting chickens apart. The chopper has no name but it's my go-to knife for vegetables.

And then, there's Manufacture Stainless. Keep out of reach of children.

Can anyone read this and tell me what it says?

k
Your chopper says in Chinese " King of Vegetable knives" or close. It's most likely from Tiawan .Other words are registered trademark .

I had a friend who was a professional chef. In that trade (here anyway) it is the custom for chefs to bring their own knives to the kitchen, and guard them jealously. They typically carry them in a roll-up sleeve with a compartment for each knife.

He described pranking another chef by packing his knife carrier full of bread crumbs. That still cracks me up.

I had a friend who was a professional chef. In that trade (here anyway) it is the custom for chefs to bring their own knives to the kitchen, and guard them jealously. They typically carry them in a roll-up sleeve with a compartment for each knife.

He described pranking another chef by packing his knife carrier full of bread crumbs. That still cracks me up.

I have two of the rolled up pouches and one big tackle box to hold my gear.

I also have every piece of gear engraved with my name...

That is a great idea. That way when I see my wife using one of my knifes I can call her out on it.

Calling out a woman with a knife in her hand. Might want to rethink the timing of that little exchange.

Of course I'm married to a Texan. My new online name would be Sheathed if I unloaded on her while she was so equipped.

Last edited:

Very impressive Moikel! b
I had help! Linda's son speaks fluent Japanese which when written is very similar to Chinese.Who knew 
biggrin.gif

Linda cut herself with my new Japanese knife  last night.Didnt feel a thing,didn't realise until she saw the blood. Lucky she is a nurse! That thing is like a razor blade.

Yes, a belated thanks for the translation!

That knife serves mainly as a cleaver. It will split a turkey. Since I want to keep my left hand, I'll usually place the blade and drive it from behind, rather than chopping. AFAIK that kind of knife is the workhorse of an Asian kitchen for tasks like vegetable and meat preparation. The curve in the blade suggests that it's meant to rock back and forth. Long ago my sister took a class in Chinese cooking and was required to get a knife like that, and she had to learn how to use it for pretty much anything.

But in my case the smaller chopper is big enough for almost all such tasks, and it's my daily driver. I use it when others would use a chef's knife because I like having the knuckle clearance. And, the blocky blade can double as a spatula to shuffle and move things around on the cutting board.

Yes, a belated thanks for the translation!

That knife serves mainly as a cleaver. It will split a turkey. Since I want to keep my left hand, I'll usually place the blade and drive it from behind, rather than chopping. AFAIK that kind of knife is the workhorse of an Asian kitchen for tasks like vegetable and meat preparation. The curve in the blade suggests that it's meant to rock back and forth. Long ago my sister took a class in Chinese cooking and was required to get a knife like that, and she had to learn how to use it for pretty much anything.

But in my case the smaller chopper is big enough for almost all such tasks, and it's my daily driver. I use it when others would use a chef's knife because I like having the knuckle clearance. And, the blocky blade can double as a spatula to shuffle and move things around on the cutting board.
They are a great tool particularly if you approach them in an Asian way. In a lot of Chinese kitchens they are the equivalent of a chefs knife like you said. If you start hacking & chopping at things you weren't paying attention,thats for Western cleavers that have more weight in the back bone & thicker blades. Just my opinion of course.
biggrin.gif

Calling out a woman with a knife in her hand. Might want to rethink the timing of that little exchange.

Of course I'm married to a Texan. My new online name would be Sheathed if I unloaded on her while she was so equipped.

Newlywed? Call down a woman with a sharp pointy object in her hand? Thats as silly as letting her hold the garden hose, no matter what she promises.
Yea sometimes I wonder how I am still alive after being with my wife for 10 years. Her favorite threat is that if I buy another gun she will use it on me.....

I also have Dexter, It's a model 5287. It's extremely sharp and I'm actually afraid of it, having cut myself just slightly.

Edited to add, put this into youtube:
[h1]Martin Yan carves chicken in 18 secs[/h1]

Last edited:
Most of my knives are almost 40 years old.

Gary

I'm a tool guy. so when I started smoking meat my knife collection started to grow. I like older carbon steel knives for slicing meat, they are easy to sharpen and take a keen edge. I use stainless knives, mainly Victorinox, for veggies.

This is an almost complete set of CaseXX Old Forge dating from the 40's to the 60's

These are Forgecrafts from the 50's and 60's. That cleaver is a little gem, lighter than most cleavers and very handy.

Stag handled CaseXX from the 50's or 60's

Misc. knives. Top is a French carbon steel Sabatier, middle two are Shapleighs stamped 1843 1934 and the bottom is a Goodell

Reactions: bdskelly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky