Operating environment for Auber plug and play PID controllers for electric smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr k

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
Peoria, IL
Just a short FYI. I couldn't find min./max environment temps and max humidity percentage to operate my WS-1510ELPM PID in the manual so I emailed Auberins.com.

My email:
I bring my WS-1510ELPM inside when not smoking, out of the outdoor elements.
I would like to know what outdoor temps/humidity are unacceptable to leave
the PID in when not in use and while in use. I am concerned with
condensation with the electronics and max/min. temp ranges outdoors.
Sometimes I want to leave the controller outside if smoking the next day.

Their reply:
Please store the controller indoor when you don't use it. This controller is not weather-proof. High humidity/cold weather will shorten the life time of the electronic components inside.

Condensation is harmful for the circuit board/PCB boards inside. If you want to leave it outdoor, please store this controller in a sealed weather-proof box.

This operating environment for this controller is 0~50C (32*-122*F), less than 85% RH.

Best,

Kane

Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
(770) 569-8420

Reactions: denny and chopsaw
Looks like I'll keep bringing it inside after every smoke so morning dew doesn't condense inside from the vent holes on the bottom.

Reactions: denny
Good info Kurt ,,, I just hate the connection on the sensor . I was bringing it in , but having trouble with the settings . So I've been making changes and was just leaving it out there . Gonna start bringing it in .

After I'm done smoking and if I do a smoke the next day I can just leave the smoker empty and turn it to 150* or so and leave it on so the PID stays warm so no condensation. After all a 24 hour smoke is $3.00 or so in electricity.

Good info Kurt ,,, I just hate the connection on the sensor . I was bringing it in , but having trouble with the settings . So I've been making changes and was just leaving it out there . Gonna start bringing it in .
I was bringing in the sensor as well till I looked at the connection groove so the three wires wouldn't get bent from constant unhooking it but now realize it's a good connection set up and leave it outside with my other chamber probes.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I run mine all the time . Empty or full . If I'm outside I'll run it an hour or three . Have since it was new ( 2013 ) That's what keeps them workin .
I auto tuned mine last week . Mistake . As you know , comes off full way to early .

I believe you did the P=1, I=0 and D=100. I tried that with salmon at 150-175*F and it comes in for a landing on the set temp well at lower temps. My go to P=1, I=0 and D=0 setting for hot smoking is my favorite.
I run mine all the time . Empty or full . If I'm outside I'll run it an hour or three . Have since it was new ( 2013 ) That's what keeps them workin .
I auto tuned mine last week . Mistake . As you know , comes off full way to early .

That me be what's different . I was using the old setting for summer sausage . Worked great . I was doing chicken at 250 , and would not come to temp . I've got it close now . Might try your setting just to see how it works .
Also , I made a section in my note book for Auber settings .

Reactions: dr k
Kurt, thanks for the info.... I was always under impression that it's not a good idea to keep Auber PID outside while not cooking.... Always keep it inside after I am done with cooking/smoking....

Great info. I always bring mine inside after a smoke. But I was trying to figure out a way to leave it outside--hooking up the probe is a PIA.
Gary
My probe cable connector has the triangulated three wires and a groove at the top of the connector and the receiving end on the PID has a notch to align with it so I look at the cable to make sure it's up and push it on. The spring locking ring clicks and holds the connection together, then pull the ring away from the PID and it comes off but you may have a different probe. Mine i believe is the PT100 RTD Sous Vide/Smoker sensor. Standard sensor.

My probe cable connector has the triangulated three wires and a groove at the top of the connector and the receiving end on the PID has a notch to align with it so I look at the cable to make sure it's up and push it on. The spring locking ring clicks and holds the connection together, then pull the ring away from the PID and it comes off but you may have a different probe. Mine i believe is the PT100 RTD Sous Vide/Smoker sensor. Standard sensor.

Yeah, mine has the same thing. Problem is, I never remember to take my reading glasses out to the smoker with me. So I end up lining everything up by braile. LOL
Gary

Yeah, mine has the same thing. Problem is, I never remember to take my reading glasses out to the smoker with me. So I end up lining everything up by braile. LOL
Gary
Same thing here Gary . This might be something to help . I put a " witness " mark on the connection with a black marker after I hooked it up . That way when you un plug , and go to re plug just line up the 2 halves of the marked line .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky