Olive oil question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

custom99

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Pittsburgh - South Hills
I buy all my olive oil in bulk at a large supplier here in Pittsburgh. This place probably sells hundreds of gallons every Saturday. I have never seen this issue before. We filled a 1 gallon glass bottle to about 1 inch from the top and use a screw top cap on it. When we got home my wife said the top must not have been on tight because the bag was wet from oil. When she went to tighten the cap it was pretty tight. She wiped the bottle and we went back out shopping. About an hour later when we got home there was oil on the counter around the bottle. After looking close I could see oil running out of the cap. I took the cap off and saw the oil had expanded and was now forcing its way out the cap. I emptied about an inch out and it rose a quarter inch again in the next couple of hours. Overnight it did not change. Has anyone ever heard of this? My wife has been in the food industry all her life and never experienced this. The oil smells, tastes, and looks normal. 

That is the Craziest Olive oil Story I ever heard!....I have seen High Proof Alcohol (190 Proof Spirytus Polish Vodka) suck water out of the Air and expand but Never Oil...JJ

It's magic...sell the thing on ebay and retire!!

Prolly was put in the bottle when fairly cold tho.... that happens with oil...

I have seen it a number of times working as a harley mechanic.

Some fellow would put 4 quarts in a 3 quart system..after it got warm  it usually blew out the dipstick.

Craig

Last edited:
Well I think you guys are right about the temperature thing. It is fine now. It was the craziest thing I ever saw. It even made a noise and spit when I would open the cap like it was under pressure or carbonated. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky