olive oil and ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ravenclan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2009
Newalla,Oklahoma
I have seen in the stores, olive oil with garlic added and so on.

My question is, Can this be done at home with out killing some one from the added ingredients going bad? I have different plastic squirt bottles for different flavors or should I use glass?

Thinking of using olive oil and in different bottles using garlic in one, sesame seed in another and maybe some sliced jalapenos in another.

How long will it last without going bad and do I need to store in the fridge or can they be left out with no worries?

I have asked but getting different views and different answers so not sure what to believe.

I did find this...When making garlic-infused olive oil, you need heat to kill any botulinum spores that may be present in the garlic. In other words, do NOT drop a few raw garlic cloves in some oil and call it a day.

Why even consider risking the practice?

albngore,

Too try something different, add flavor, different way to cook and so on.

did you ever try a different food and wonder how it was cooked? Or want to make something different for you family or friends to try?

I know i have and yes some have failed but the ones that shined was well worth the effort!

albngore,

Too try something different, add flavor, different way to cook and so on.

did you ever try a different food and wonder how it was cooked? Or want to make something different for you family or friends to try?

I know i have and yes some have failed but the ones that shined was well worth the effort!

Hi Ravenclan,
I like mixing things up and trying added flavors to things. That's how I developed my own Signiture Rub. The stuff I like with the salt controlled. I use a lot of dried ingredients anyway. Then let the meat speak to it.
Or in the case of my Baby Back Ribs I'm chained to now, my Signiture rub added to Sweet Baby Rays and painted on as the ribs are cooked.
Have you ever bought that Garlic in oil in a jar? I love that stuff! I can add it, or granulated Garlic to my pasta and BAM!
A nice big punch in the mouth of garlic!
This lady has some really valid points about using dried Garlic in oil. It helps avoid the whole contamination thing of using fresh Garlic.
I would have every confidence in developing your own scented/flavored oils.
If worried about them being safe, Sous Vide your product at a leathality Temperature before using.

I'm not real crazy about using plastics for things that are strong like Garlic.
In Fact, I carry a jar in the truck for, Ahem, Peemergencies. Sometimes it is just better to pull over and bottle temporarily a brief relief. It is big enough to take care of the problem.
That jar began it's life as a Minced Garlic in Olive Oil container. Even after a few uses and wash-outs, it still smells like garlic. Not pee.
So, you choose. But I'd opt for glass. You might find a nice set of dispensers that will fit nicely with your Kitchen Style.
Scroll down here at Amazon. I see several I'd consider candidates.

I do use Peanut oil for my frying, And it lives in it's original larger container, but my grab and go is one of those translucent squeeze bottles with a twist close spout on it. A little squirt and go to cooking. But Peanut oil, plain, is all that I intend to use in that bottle.

As you can tell, I cook for pleasure, and for everyday meals. Some might call it comfort food.
If I have to wash my hands after dinner, I call that good Bar-B-Que. If I have to wash my hands and my face, I call that damn good Bar-B-Que!
I don't cook for snobbishness. Just like I don't dress for dinner.
Hell, I'm happy with American Piss Beer, as one British Friend use to tease me about.
Labels don't impress me. Comfort and usefulness does. I'd rather have a pick up, than a car.

So go for it! Experiment! Bear in mind good practices. And Have fun!
My SPOG is a mixture I make, then grind in my SS Mortor and Pestel and jar up so I can just sprinkle it on. I know it has a consistent consistency because I measure, mix, grind, and store it.

You might like to mix some Granulated Garlic into your oil, and/or make some Granulated Onion Oil. But if you accidentally mix them up when used... :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sonny, I would be more concerned about mixing in that “PEE” jar by accident that I assume is floating around in you truck somewhere than I would mixing up the garlic and the onion oils. LOL

Weedeater

Reactions: SonnyE
I like mixing things up and trying added flavors to things. That's how I developed my own Signiture Rub.

SonnyE,

I also enjoy cooking and having family and friends try out new recipes AFTER I have tried it , so i don't kill any one or make them sick.

The reason for this question is I bought a BlackStone Griddle Grill and I use the oil to cook with as directed and was thinking about infused olive oil for different food cooked on it. I do use the olive oil but I have also used sesame oil for chicken and veggies and that has come out great. So was just wondering.

I always like to try different things while cooking, smoking or grilling .

Reactions: SonnyE
Sonny, I would be more concerned about mixing in that “PEE” jar by accident that I assume is floating around in you truck somewhere than I would mixing up the garlic and the onion oils. LOL

Weedeater

No. That jar stays in the truck, cleaned after use, dry and sealed.
Which makes it a good candidate for that use, it seals tight. Most important that it seals tight. :emoji_zipper_mouth:

(Funny that nobody seems to care if you dump liquid on the side of the road. They assume it is coffee, water, soda...
But you stand there with your hands by your crotch (even if they can't see anything) and you can get a ticket.)

SonnyE,

I also enjoy cooking and having family and friends try out new recipes AFTER I have tried it , so i don't kill any one or make them sick.

The reason for this question is I bought a BlackStone Griddle Grill and I use the oil to cook with as directed and was thinking about infused olive oil for different food cooked on it. I do use the olive oil but I have also used sesame oil for chicken and veggies and that has come out great. So was just wondering.

I always like to try different things while cooking, smoking or grilling .

I see, the plot thickens... I'm all for experimenting.
Absolutely! Ever fry eggs in Bacon Grease? You get that Bacon-ie taste with the eggs.

I think it would be interesting to try.

I had some Breakfast at Base Camp today. Base Camp is what the movie/TV folks call where they set up the support equipment, outdoor kitchen, etc. (Giant food trucks)
I had some scrambled eggs with Chorizo mixed into the eggs. Delisioso! Tators, Bacon, Fresh Fruit.
But your Blackstone Griddle/Grill would probably really shine with flavored Oils to use.

I have a nice SS griddle spatula, and a Lodge Griddle, does that count? :emoji_rolling_eyes:
It's no Blackstone, but there is just the two of us. :emoji_blush:

:emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

This info is vague at best and Dangerous at it's worst. This a lot of instruction that say " Heat over..." or " Dry the fresh Rosemary overnight" but is not specific enough for Safety. Heat to what temp? For how long? Drying fresh herbs on the counter overnight on the Louisiana coast gives a different result than in Arizona. Moisture left in the herbs can result in reactivated spore.
Dry Herbs and spices are fine, no water present.
To use fresh Leafy Herbs or Garlic, Shallot, Ginger and Scallion, you must heat them above 251°F for 3+ minutes. This temp kills bacteria and spores...JJ

Thanks to DaveOmak for the enlightenment years ago.

After a long look at the internet and talking to a chef.......seems like I will be just making small batches a couple hours before i cook and use it all at that time and what ever is left over throw away.

Just to be safe and not get sick.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky