Old, lapsed newbie from Connecticut (by way of Tennessee, Florida, and New York state)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

queen p

Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hi there. I have actually been on the forum for a number of years, but bristled at having to say much about myself (which is quite unusual. No one has ever called me shy! Or reticent!) so after several reminders to introduce myself, I dropped off.
Then came the "Big Event" April 22 2012, I had a heart attack, with major complications at age 57. 5 months in hospitals and rehab and another hospitalization later, I am still on oxygen 24x7, which doesn't lend itself to smoking. I'm still out of work, recovering, and not doing too well.
All of my friend on Facebook seem to have smoked briskest in the last two weeks, and that mouth watering thought brought me out of hiding. I went to my local butcher. Point cut and flat cuts were on sale for $4.99 a pound. i asked if he had any whole briskets. et le voila! it was $3.99 a pound. SOLD! he trimmed it up nice for smoking and I brought it home, stuck it in the ice chest. (since the fridge crapped out 4th of July weekend and we have not managed to replace it yet.) My SO, Marc cleaned up my smoker for me yesterday (a Cabela Bullet style)
So, I am about to come up with a fabulous rub, we are soaking the wood, and by tomorrow's dinner, If all goes right, we will have a wonderful smoked brisket!
I am still on medical leave, having used up my benefits. This means they are holding my job until the end of October, but I have no income, and I pay for insurance via COBRA. so this is an extravagance. I'm too young to retire (big penalty on early retirement) besides, I want to work! What do I do? I might tell you privately, but to the world, I am "a piano player in a whore house" (see Calvin Coolidge) I work for a mega global corporation which has stated it just might fire you if you post anything on these interwebs that it doesn't like. And truthfully, after 34 years with what used to be one of the best companies to work for, through mergers and acquisitions, and a severe culture change, I am no longer proud of who I work for. They no longer care about their employees, their customers (IMHO) or their "product"
I consider myself a Southern girl at heart, and my Daddy was the barbecue king (of course) my great uncle on my mother's side had a Carolina style barbecue joint in Thonatasassa, FL, or near-abouts, and he left his secret recipe to my Daddy when he died. We always told Daddy, if he lost his day job as an engineer (worked on Apollo, Nukes, and more) he should open a BBQ. Is that enough? Now y'all will be begging me to shut up!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Cant wait to see the brisket!  COBRA is expensive!  Good luck and glad you yapped at us a bit.

We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF).  To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per TulsaJeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

:welcome1:to SMF!!! We're happy you joined us! We have over 50,000 members now who just love to share what they know. You've come to the best place on the net to learn and share everything Q!!!

Hello Queen P...glad you checked in!  Very sorry to hear of your health and job problems!  Stay positive, the best is surely yet to come!  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

Last edited:
Queen P,

You hang in there.

Where are you in Connecticut?  Wallingford here.  Lots of good folks here to help when you need it.  Let us know how that brisket turns out and let us know what you are smoking with.

Last edited:
Hello, and Welcome again from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of good information and great people.
texas.gif

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky